Are crowded mass transit systems spreading disease?

Why do I get the impression you’re not arguing in good faith?

Could it be that you’re more interested in attacking NYC than actually proposing a “solution”?

You seem confused about this. NYC is the only American city that is built on mass transit. There was never any other logical way for people to get around. They didn’t install a subway under a city, they’d run subway lines and then the city would grow on top of it. Everything north of like 14th Street in Manhattan is like that.

1 Like

Also all of lower Manhattan is a giant single city sized radiator that turns snow to rain and rain to steam but that’s another story.

Mass transit has been around for decades. Disease has been around forever. Are we supposed to be afraid to leave the house based on yet another epidemic? Why now? Why not years ago? I’ll still be riding the train. Ain’t I wasn’t scared last year. Why should I be now?

Excused? It’s necessary. Parties are not.

For most health care workers in NYC, it’s a choice between taking the subway to work, or not going to work at all.

1 Like

Longer than that.

The current subway system in NY open in 1906. Prior to that, there was an elevated-train public transit system that opened in 1868.

Mass transit is a vector. A huge vector. Not just in NYC. Any urban mass transit will be crowded. Probably more crowded and close-quartered than any church service or beach party.

I’d be more concerned taking a metro bus or a subway right now than to fly in a commercial airplane or go on some cruise, and I’m certainly not going to fly or cruise right now.

Yet that’s how things work in most large cities. I don’t know how someone would get around there without some form of mass transit. Makes me profoundly grateful I don’t live in an urban area.

2 Likes

Not here in DC.

The few times I’ve left my house in the last 3 weeks and have had to take the Metro, it was almost completely deserted.

Looks like a lot of major cities might learn something from DC, then.

It has to do with the relative use of mass transit.

In the DC area, the Metro isn’t that developed. The people who use the Metro are mostly working from home, or just unemployed at the moment. Professionals, for the most part (including doctors and nurses), drive.

In New York, no one drives to work. Even the mayor takes the subway to work.

On an average workday in New York (non-coronapocalypse), upwards of 8 million people ride the subway each day.

O P presents an interesting idea.

Just yesterday I saw this article

Now I won’t dispute Wuhan Province, or the “wet markets”, that, if nothing else, aid in the spread of the virus.

But I understand from those who have spent time in Western Europe 1) It’s necessary to be AT LEAST 18 to even learn to drive, and 2) Europeans rely on mass transit than many or most Americans.

Whether in China, Europe or U S, mass transit may assist in the spread. There are those who lack an alternative, though, and I dislike for their financial situation to be made even worse by keeping them from their jobs.

Coal fired El trains too. That must have been some foul
■■■■■

Dorms are being used by UPMC.

I did not mean to infer the mass transit part.

Do you disagree that Allegheny County only had 29 new cases yesterday and that new cases are declining?

I can add that UPMC did restrict shuttles to 50 percent capacity and they are running twice as many.

The last time you said this cases spiked the literal day after.

We haven’t hit the peak yet. You can’t wish it away. Our only saving grace is we have a million hospitals.

Could be a factor making it a hot spot.

The day before was 31.

Right or wrong?

Well beyond peak.

Go read your PG app.