Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

4 great points. I’ll attempt to tackle each in a separate post.

I define low skill jobs as those jobs that most anyone can do with minimal training. When I was working my way through college my first job was as a common laborer. I dug ditches and was a gofor. Minimal training was needed, but I worked my butt off. I never once considered it to be anything but my first job.

I was part of a construction crew having various skill sets. There were about a half dozen of us common laborers, each having a similar story.

But to your point, of course there are more than a few who have chosen to make their first low skilled job their career choice. Given that these are the ones I’m specifically talking about in this thread, I’m confused as to why you might think that I would be unaware of it??? :thinking:

Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

Companies?
You mean individuals profiting, not :v:“Companies” :v:, by keeping their workers wages low? OHHH’ MY!
Ahh’ yeah’
:v:“Individuals”:v:, in a Capitalistic Paradigm use their wealth :v:“Capital”:v:, and the always accompanied :v:“Power”:v:, to get more money :v:“Captital”:v:.
Now that sounds crazy, why… companies only care about the little guy right?
Right…

Careful…your greed is showing.

You seem to think there is a neverending supply of skilled jobs available. If that is the case, why are college graduates struggling to find employment? They rack up $50,000 of debt and they are lucky if they find a job paying $30,000. So what do you think is going to happen if we flood the market with more “skilled” labor? I’d be willing to bet it would depress wages even further. Your solution of the status quo isn’t tenable for our future.

Your stock portfolio looks good though. :roll_eyes:

Good we agree on the need for education.

For those that can’t afford one, there are a multitude of government funded programs to acquire necessary skills. I’m a strong advocate of those programs. That is why I firmly believe no one should have a good excuse not to avail themselves of those opportunities.

Be the best you can be is the motto I live by. One doesn’t have to be the best or the brightest to earn a good living. Obviously those that do shine will be more highly compensated, as they should be. But hey.

A lot to disagree with here.

You talk about current state of affairs, but I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to?? Loss of manufacturing jobs? As I stated, I believe there are multiple reasons. I named three that I believe contributed.

I’ve been discussing the so-called profit motive with @Jezcoe. A publicly traded company has a fiduciary responsibility to its stock holders. So yes they would be looking to maximize profits in any way they can.

I’m not sure where you are going with your cast of serfs imagery. Maybe you could elaborate.

We might have some agreement here. The economy is extremely complicated. More reasons for LIBs to stop trying to tinker with it. :wink:

I think it was your use of the three dots as a separator. I removed them and things went back to normal.

Its about acquiring the right skillset. Those that are most in demand. Spending hours sitting in a classroom taking black study courses or liberal arts, or political science, etc. Will not land someone a job working in the highly competitive tech industries. And to that point, many of these skills can’t be picked up in college.

Ummmmm…I’m in tech. We told everyone in the 90’s tech was the future. Guess what? We sent all those jobs to India. I was downsized twice in 10 years for Indian counterparts. Sorry, you are wrong about this.

Ummmmmm… I’ve worked in the tech industry for more than 50 years. Over the last 5 or so years, half of our staff was located in India, mostly through expansion. We really had little choice as we were unable to find many of the required skillsets here in this country.

I’m not wrong about this. Those that are willing to acquire much needed skillsets and that are willing to apply themselves will be able to find a good paying job in the tech sector here in this country.

Not nearly enough to replace those equal to the workers in the service/retail industry.

Tech and service/retail aren’t the only industries in this country. The key to any good paying job, regardless of industry is having the right skillset.

Don’t kid your. That staff was moved to India because it’s 25% of the cost. Not because the positions couldn’t be filled by US employees.

1 Like

Given that I was intimately involved with the staffing decisions in my group, I can categorically say that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ok…let’s say I buy your premise. You are working a full time job and you are Door Dashing on the weekends to keep a roof over your head and food on the table. Where exactly are you supposed to have time to get this magical “skillset” that is gonna get you out of this cycle?

BS…so was I. :roll_eyes:

The companies I represent did $48 billion in sales last year.

Highly motivated people make the time. Many years ago, I was looking to get into management. In order to have any chance, I knew I had to take several college level courses. Night school was my my option of choice. Lots of sacrifice (with a wife and a child), in addition to my full time job. But those that are highly motivated will always find a way.

So the whole bootstrap thing. Good for you. That shouldn’t be what it takes for basic living necessities though.

I’m certain that you are accurate with your particular situation. I don’t question that accuracy. But given that you know nothing about my particular company or situation, you are in no position to tell me that I’m wrong about what transpired.

That’s exactly what it takes. There is no free ride in this country. Those unwilling to apply themselves will get left behind. Those are the cold hard facts. Unfortunately our young today are being indoctrinated in K-12 to believe that they are victims of big corporations. They aren’t learning the basic skills they need to get ahead and to survive. They are taught to believe big government will see to their every need.

Alright…I can concede that point. We have still created a situation where it is EXTREMELY hard to achieve what we have. It shouldn’t be this way. Keeping a roof over your head and food on the table shouldn’t be this hard of a struggle. Things have swung to far. There needs to be a correction.