Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

Not even remotely true. By far the vast majority of people in this country do manage to acquire the skills necessary to earn a decent living.

This thread has only been focused on those few who are unwilling to acquire those skills. I’m still somewhat amazed that LIBs believe we owe those few anything, let alone a living wage (whatever that even means). Amazed but not surprised.

Around 53% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed. The unemployment rate for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher is 4.8%. Mass media majors have an unemployment rate of 7.3%. General education majors have an unemployment rate of just 1.7%.

The magic bullet of acquiring a skillset just isn’t what it used to be.

Ex really poor person here, was grateful for marginal employment before I could qualify for real employment. Learned quite a bit about various businesses when I was at the bottom of them. That I later applied to my own business with fair success.

1 Like

Of course it is.

I’m always looking on the internet at what careers are taking off and what careers are waning in demand. Someone fresh out of high school has access to that same kind of information. Choosing the right education or training that would allow them to work in one of those hot career fields is critical.

The times are very different today but that doesn’t mean one must simply give up. Inevitably some will give up, but a great many more will be succeed. Those are the ones we should be celebrating. We shouldn’t be fawning over those who have given up.

2021 the year everyone gave up. Only logical really, 350 million is not a governable number. Anything over 50k isn’t governable imho. Almost tempted to say 25k, but talented people could pull off fifty.

It doesn’t have anything to do with one’s skill set right now.

Most of the tech jobs around here aren’t filled by tech companies, but temporary staffing companies utilized by tech companies. I’m on a break right now because I work as a contractor and the company I work at isn’t hiring. It’s cheaper to use contractors and the company doesn’t have to pay benefits. Open ended contracts are the new normal. The days of 90 days probation and getting hired permanent are long gone. I work with people who have been “temps” for nearly a decade.

1 Like

I actually work in the tech industry and have for nearly twenty years. Sell that BS to someone else. I no longer hold a job in manufacturing because it pays less than what I used to make doing it.

Want to make sure I understand what you are saying before responding. Are you saying that ones compensation no longer has anything to do with ones skill set??? :thinking:

I’m now retired but I did work in the tech industry for 50 odd years. What BS are you talking about exactly? :thinking:

Not sure how you can broad brush the entire tech industry based on your personal experience. Where I work we periodically use contractors for specific projects or to temporarily add staffing. Those contractors are usually the first to be let go when force reductions are necessary. I personally know a few of the contractors, and they are contractors by choice not because they are unable to find a permanent position.

So we each have our personal experiences to share. I doubt either is truly representative of the tech industry as a whole.

It never had to do with one’s skill set.

Pay is a negotiation just like many other things in life.

The idea the wage market has perfect information is pure fiction.

Has everything to do with skill set. I know from experience in industries that hire high tech individuals.

Depends on the industry, skill set and demand for that skill set. A union deli clerk would be in no position to negotiate much of anything. That is all laid out in a union contract.

Even in my highly compensated career field, there are salary guidelines based on skill set and the value that skill set provides to the company. When applying for a job, I know what kind of a salary range my skill set will bring. Within that narrow salary range I might have some negotiation wiggle room. It really depends how badly that company wants me, based on the strength of my resume and interview.

Not perfect information but industry guidelines.

That’s not true. We are the second largest manufacturing country in the world.

You just said all that matters is shareholder profit. And now you are saying that doesn’t lead to mass outsourcing and lack of permeant positions…

You are arguing semantics. The U.S. has lost 7.5 million manufacturing jobs since 1969. That’s the point I was arguing. I fully understand there are still manufacturing jobs left in this country.

Quite a few actually.

The ones that left were the ■■■■■■ ones.

Good riddance really.

The BS you are spouting about the tech industry. A lot has changed just in the last ten years.

Because the tactic is being used industry wide. Maybe because there’s a reason you’re conveniently glossing over.

Being in the TECH industry myself, I’ve been around a lot longer than just the last ten years. It has changed so much I hardly recognize it. However that doesn’t invalidate anything I’ve stated. As I pointed out, we each have our individual experiences in that industry. You are in no position to call my observations BS.