Apple removes Alex Jones and Infowars podcast from iTunes

Tell that to the mall who was forced to allow people to distribute pamphlets.

I had never heard of Alex Jones before I came here.

Me either.

No, I think it was a dumb decision.

I also think it isn’t the best thing to hang your argument on.

I am honestly surprised that your position on Net Neutrality would mean that you support a fairness doctrine for the internet.

Who would have thunk it?

Wasn’t that case about the California Constitution?

If so, aren’t states allowed to provide more rights than the Constitution does if they choose?

They allowed people to gather signatures.

Not remotely the same thing as forcing online hosting services to host all kinds of content.

Especially since you can create your own website and distribute your own content…a la settingnup yourbown “public square”.

Barriers to entry are not remotely the same as trying to build your own shopping mall.

You give Apple/Facebook/Youtube/Tweeter express right to remove your content for any reason they see fit when you agree TOS.

Not to mention, had the students gotten rowdy and disruptive and in people’s faces, the mall could have thrown them out.

Just like violating the ToS of your hosting service.

Much as I despise using Wikipedia as a source, the last paragraph on the decision is of interest here. In later years, the decision, though not overruled, was narrowed.

On December 27, 2012, the Supreme Court of California reaffirmed Pruneyard but narrowed its applicability to the facts of the original case.[18] The entire court concurred in Associate Justice Joyce Kennard’s holding that Pruneyard applies only to “common areas” of shopping centers that are designed and furnished to encourage shoppers to linger, congregate, relax, or converse at leisure, but does not apply to any other open portions of shopping centers merely intended to facilitate the efficient movement of shoppers in and out of tenants, including concrete aprons and sidewalks which shoppers simply walk across as they move between parking lots and big-box stores. In other words, the court effectively immunized most (but not all) strip malls and shopping centers from Pruneyard, except for those with areas analogous to public gathering areas such as plazas, atriums, or food courts. Miriam Vogel, a former Court of Appeal justice who argued for the shopping center tenant (Kroger subsidiary Ralphs), characterized the decision “a great victory for retailers as far as putting another nail in the Pruneyard coffin.”[19] However, the decision was not a complete loss for free speech advocates, as the court separately upheld the right of a union to protest on the employer’s premises under the state Moscone Act by a 6–1 majority (the majority, though, was badly split as to why).

More on the decision from another source. Most states didn’t follow the California ruling.

Fortunately, there is good news for shopping center owners in most states. Except for California, which still follows the rationale set forth in the Pruneyard case, and several other states such as New Jersey, Massachusetts and Colorado, which have adopted versions of the Pruneyard rationale, the majority of state court decisions since Pruneyard have protected the rights of private property owners to enact regulations governing political protests, demonstrations and similar activities at their shopping centers and have held that individuals and groups do not have the unfettered right to enter private property for the purpose of picketing, demonstrating or conducting similar types of activities.

https://www.foxrothschild.com/publications/rights-of-shopping-center-owners-to-regulate-free-speech-and-public-discourse/

I’ve already explained to you why, for a number of reasons, it’s horribly unlikely that ruling would apply in the situation of Jones/social media.

And also that it was a state court ruling and most of the other court jurisdictions didn’t agree with it, so it only applied in certain areas not nationally.

1 Like

Yep-that was one of the things I mentioned. The ruling zantax is citing largely deals with the abilities of states to enforce rights as long as they don’t conflict with the 1st amendment. I believe the breadth and scope of the internet and online social media means that the ruling he’s citing would not be used as precedent.

It’s also interesting to see someone generally right-wing forcing speech/expression in places of business…which is strange, considering we just had some recent discussions about, say, bakers not being compelled to “express” their beliefs through baking cakes and the like.

Playing the devil’s advocate here…

Why, if you want the free speech to have a wedding cake made, for Jill & Jennifer’s marriage, should everyone must be forced to bake it, but YouTube has a say in denying customer requests?

Why is a baker unable to decide who has a platform of free speech, and.or commerce, but YouTube and Facebook do?

Obviously there are stark differences between baking a cake with your message or theme, and posting the same thing on YouTube and Facebook. But why is is only that YouTube can decide to not serve you because they disagree with the content of your product on an personal level, but a baker has to respect whatever customers walking in off the street ask of him?

2 Likes

Poor analogy. The baker already bakes wedding cakes and discriminated against who could purchase them. Youtube is a marketplace that chooses which products to carry, not whom to sell them to. I’m sure there are companies that want Walmart to carry their products but Walmart is under no obligation to do so.

Why is it a poor analogy? Both the baker and Facebook deal with customers who want to use their service to express themselves. Neither the baker, or Facebook wanted to be seen as endorsing, associating with, promoting, contributing to, or assisting those types of customers. so they refused to do business with them.

As to my personal feelings on the whole baker issue. I thought the baker had little to no standing to refuse to bake that wedding cake. Weddings don’t require a cake, and the couple would have already been married before the cake was even carved.

The problem i see, is that is seems Facebook and YouTube can deny the business of customers because they don’t like their views, and on that basis don’t wish to be associated with them, but the baker has no such choice.

You love Alex Jones and you don’t even know it. :rofl:

You love strawmen

The role of a the “customer” I think is tricky for free services. In the case of YouTube and Facebook, the customer is actually the advertiser or the partners who these companies have made contractual obligations to, for say, usage information or ad clicks.

I think the relationship definitely changes when the customer pays for the service, for instance, if you paid say $5/month to host your YouTube videos.

You are a strawman.