Apparently, people don't want to live in NYC (and you have to threaten their livelihood to make them live there)

Macy’s:
"We need you to work here and we need you to show up.

Employees:
“Good GAWD! that means I’d have to live in that over-priced hell hole called New York city. There’d be New Yorkers everywhere and my family can’t avoid them.”

On Monday, the mall-based retailer informed its hybrid employees via email that the new policy will go into effect May 13, according to people familiar with the matter. The new policy will affect one-third of Macy’s corporate workforce, including the merchandising, marketing, and customer and digital teams, confirmed spokesman Chris Grams.

The company has given employees a three-month grace period to move back to the New York City area. If they haven’t returned by then, workers will risk consequences that could include termination.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-29/macy-s-cracks-down-on-rto-warns-workers-of-possible-termination?srnd=industries-consumer

I note here the article was written by Bloomberg staff.

Bloomberg itself has a mandatory 3-day show-up policy as its own employees want to live anywhere anywhere anywhere except New York City.

Watch New York and California lose more EC votes on the next census. :wink:

4 Likes

I understand Phoenix has/ had a lot of California refugees. Apparently people don’t want to live there either.

Amazon, Disney and Amazon have also had to threaten people with being fired to make them move back. Let’s face it. People don’t want to live there and won’t live there unless you threaten their jobs.

Not with an open border.

1 Like

People like working more from home. That’s so weird.

1 Like

I wonder what their reasoning is. If a person can get the same job done from home, why force them into an office?

They don’t have to pay NY taxes if they live out of state, do they?

HOGWASH.
When they work from home . . . .
they immediately leave the crappy crime infested broken school post-apocalyptic Garderobes like NYC and California.

And they won’t move back unless their jobs are threatened

Try to imagine this article/headline.

“Americans flock to major cities now that they are allowed to work from home.”

or

“Work-From-Home made me free! I can finally leave my rotten rural town and move to New York where I have always wanted to live.”
Guess why you don’t see headlines like those?
Because, the instant people were given a choice they moved OUT.
they won’t move back unless their jobs are threatened.

See the pattern?

What a bizarre take.

3 Likes

“Oh great now I can work form home.
I will finally leave this small town and move my family to NYC., or California. I;ve always wanted to live there.”

You did not see it.
You did not red it.
You did not hear about it.

Wonder why?

Small town jobs can’t support migration in that direction.

People don’t want to live in NYC so badly that a 750-square foot condo in my neighborhood is only $1.5 million these days.

3 Likes

Yes the cost of complying with NYC laws makes things very expensive.

that’s one of the reasons as soon as people were given a choice they left.
(they could have worked-from-home form anywhere,)
and they won’t come back unless you threaten their livelihoods.

I was wrong if I over-focused on crime and schools, the extreme cost is probably a major driver too.

The percentage that left was minimal - 6 percent over three years. Many came back some will stay away forever :man_shrugging:

But keep the rant flowing

You are saying things just to say them. Thinking this is going to elicit some kind of a response.

I get the need but so not polite.

It’s not a rant I am just calmly listing facts.

When given a choice people moved out.
(They did not just move to nicer parts of the city.)

When asked, by their employers to move back, people refused.
Now their livelihoods are being threatened. That is the only way to get them to move back.

Right. Calmly

1 Like

Yeah, true I over-stated things to “provoke a reaction.” I thought of it as “Making sure I am clear” but I guess those are kinda the same.

1 Like

Yes some people moved out. Manhattan grew the past two years. Others moved back

550k over four years after years of record growth.
The city will be ok. Every few years people proclaim its imminent death. And then nothing happens.

1 Like

And there is construction literally everywhere