Another trump voter fraud lie falls apart

It’s a very fair point you make…

In both cases you’re limiting a right based on exception crimes committed by a small percentage of the subject groups.

I’ll make a set of assumptions here and ask a question.

Assumption: if no gun owners committed murder, everyone would be in favor of very limited or nonexistent gun control

Assumption: if no mail voters committed voter fraud, everyone would be in favor of mail-in voting

Assumption: if all gun owners committed murder, no one would oppose gun control

Assumption: if all mail voters committed voter fraud, no one would be in favor of mail-in voting

With that said, assume 100 million gun owners under our current system, and 100 million mail voters under the 2020 system:

What are the numbers that serve as the tipping point for your thinking? 1 each? 10,000 each? Different number for each? Why?

The following story, which I use all the time at work, demonstrates a bit of a flaw in the “voter fraud isn’t an issue” argument:

https://medium.com/@penguinpress/an-excerpt-from-how-not-to-be-wrong-by-jordan-ellenberg-664e708cfc3d

The armor, said Wald, doesn’t go where the bullet holes are. It goes where the bullet holes aren’t: on the engines.

Maybe there isn’t enough oversight to assume that the rate of known voter fraud is close to the rate of actual voter fraud.

There’s no data to assume this is a widespread problem, however. The onus therefore is on the party looking to limit the activity to prove the benefit of said limitation. I don’t think they’ve done this.

So the question would be…how would you set out to definitively show current systems of oversight are leading to significant voter fraud such that they need to be tightened up…when there is a paucity of evidence…a very VERY small percentage of detected voter fraud v how many votes are actually cast…that it is a real problem?

The analogy to the planes would be that 99% of the planes that are sent out to battle come back, and 99% of the planes that come back have absolutely no bullet holes.

If this was the case, we wouldn’t even think about putting armor on planes.

The same people that want mail ballots are the same that don’t want voter ID’s, in other words they’re okay with possibly voter fraud if they think they have the advantage and since there is more registered Democrat Party voters then any other political party, do the math! Dems want drivers licenses for illegals but don’t want voter id for American citizens, once again it’s not rocket science, they want to cheat! :roll_eyes:

That gets to my previous post of “what’s the number where we should be concerned and ?” :slight_smile:

To the rest, as Daniel Kahneman says, WYSIATI (what you see is all there is). Essentially, maybe there’s more fraud than we know about.

I did some work with a prison system some years ago. We hypothesized that facilities with the best trained, most experienced, most engaged guards would have the least number of prisoner excessive force complaints.

Lo and behold, the opposite hypothesis was more strongly supported. When we dug in, we found that the “better” guards were just more likely to accurately report and file than the “worse” guards. So all that is a cautionary tale against using reported/confirmed incidents as gospel, be they voter fraud or unwarranted headlocks.

That said, I maintain that the onus is on the “mail vote bad” crowd to better demonstrate their case.

I agree that reported cases alone aren’t enough to tell the story.

The issue with voter fraud is that there are SO FEW reported cases of actual fraud, going back over long time periods. Couple this with the fragmented nature of our electoral process and one would expect to see way more cases of attempted fraud than we have actually seen…almost for the same reason as your prison guard experience. The electoral system is too fragmented so as to have so much centralized control that one could snuff out all attempts to report voting fraud. Therefore we should see more reports than we see because there should be enough “good electoral officials” to assure this would happen.

And we have so few even after numerous attempts to “dig in” and investigate, like you did with the prison guards.

1 Like

Oh boy. Can’t wait for the civil response tweets for this…

Applying your logic, those that have COVID-19 but no symptoms, don’t actually have it until they’re tested? IOW…as long as there are no investigations into voter fraud, there will never be any…amirite? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, when you’re in the tank for Democrats, you do what you can to marginalize the opposition.

Twitter is in the tank for Democrats? How so?

I’m curious too of the rational for saying this. I guess one will have to wait for a google searched response.

When it comes to twitter I’m all for free speech and thought, however some people tend to get out of control. In all honesty, the bullying and trolling is an issue across all forms of social media, but it is what it is. However putting out false information that could potentially negatively impact public policy, our electorate, along with life/death situations need to be eliminated. Unfortunately Trump is guilty of bullying, trolling and putting out false information. The clown need to be fact checked every time he post something. I had to stop following his dumb ass because of all the people I followed (which is not that many) on twitter, the freaking POTUS is the most toxic.

no, the onus is on the party trying to change the current system to prove the change is as secure as what already exists.

One could also ask why Trump used the method of voting that he alleges is used for voter fraud?

Dems want to make it easy to vote. Increasing the participation of citizens in the voting process.

GOP wants to restrict voters. Making it more difficult to vote. Decreasing the number of citizens participating in the voting process.

Dems win when more people vote. GOP wins when less people vote.

1 Like

Okay. Utah.

Just a little fraud is all goo(D) though. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, this guy sounds like a solid choice to be making those decisions.

The solution for D Trump is to not tweet lies and misleading information.

Nope, but not some huge problem.

There is no electoral system that is 100% secure. Voter fraud has and always will exist. It should not be tolerated and when found needs to be dealt with.

However no one had yet provided me with any evidence that organized voter fraud exists in presidential elections to such an extent that it impacts the final outcome.

If this organized electoral fraud undertaken by democrats they would have utilized it to ensure Hillary was now President. They would have also flexed their fraud muscles in the subsequent congressional and senate elections to ensure complete victory but that did not happen.

Absentee ballots do have the potential for voter fraud but note the word potential, there is no evidence this is occurring.

If we eliminate absentee or early mail in ballots we will be denying the vote to millions of Americans.

It is obvious Trump is pushing this voter fraud narrative as a plan B should he lose in November. He will claim voter fraud and who knows what will happen from there on.