Amazon Pauses Green Card Sponsorship For Foreign Workers In 2024 Amid Layoffs

The PERM process, managed by the U.S. Department of Labor, is the initial step toward obtaining a Green Card. This process ensures that the entry of foreign workers does not negatively impact job opportunities, wages, and working conditions for U.S. workers.

Apparently with 70,000 tech layoffs in recent years (including 27,000 at Amazon) it has become challenging for companies like Amazon to hire foreign engineers by claiming “There are no Americans available for that job.”

The original report is from Business Insider, but is paywalled so I;ve been reading about here:

Google did something like that last year

But they may have since done and about-face because Google has complained that it needs foreign workers to develop AI as quickly as it would like.

They have already shown who they are and what they stand for. I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING from Amazon and have made my position clear to everyone I know. Buy local. Support your local economy. What goes around comes around.

■■■■ Amazon and Bezos. Cheers to supporting local. :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

This is one area I do have experience in it’s a scam it has nothing to do with “American workers can’t do it”. I have personally been called out to come with the managers and give tech interviews to many Americans who are more than qualified and they don’t get the job in the end because it’s 1/4 the expense to bring someone here on a H1B visa and pay no benefits then to hire and American.

They are mock interviews, it shows the power these bigger companies have they brazenly break the law and there is no accountability I assume because of lobbyists, not sure but it doesn’t change.