Alternative Medicine Experiences

Anyone have any?

So I took the stairs to my neurologist’s office on the 4th floor to pull some medical records needed for a particular alternative treatment for migraines I have in mind. PM me if you want to know which treatment.

What do I see from the second floor but a Chinese Herbal & Acupunture clinic. So now I’m in a quandary which one to try—or both?

Having already spoken with a practitioner of the first type of alternative medicine, many get relief from my condition, and it’s a cash transaction—no insurance middle man, which I like. Traditional Chinese medicine appears to treat the entire patient, mind and body, which I like, but don’t want to bother with my insurance.

Any experience or advice?

I would totally consider trying it. Make sure you do some research on the practitioner, though. Choose mindfully, not just because you saw their office from a window :slight_smile:

Have never tried accupuncture, but have battled a 7 year chronic pain condition, and found unconventional practitioners to be very helpful.

1 Like

Pain hits me consistently between midnight and 2 AM. Can’t do it any more.

Am exited about trying that herbal/acupuncture clinic for the first time this Thursday afternoon. That clinic’s original office got strictly five star yelp reviews, & one practitioner is Harvard educated.

Also offers discounts to those whose insurance might not cover alternative medicine. Can’t wait to go & have heard excellent comments from Americans on Chinese herbal medicines who have since given up on western medicine.

There is a good reason that insurance companies don’t reimburse for most alternative therapies.

But, it’s your money.

The reason being…?

There are western educated practitioners who are quacks and patients who feel failed by therapies that have ceased to work. They don’t mind paying for drugs or other therapies that have ceased to work because…?

These professionals are educated in a very old, local undergrad college for their type of medicine & Harvard Medical School Educated, with a Massachusetts General Hospital nurse on staff.

How does this not make them worth a try?

" If these measures don’t relieve your leg cramps, try magnesium as magnesium glycinate, citrate, malate, or aspartate, 400 mg in divided doses throughout the day. At the same time, take a vitamin B-complex supplement three times daily. If you still find no relief , add 2000 micrograms of vitamin B12 under the tongue.Dec 13, 2018"

My wife also takes Valerian drops to ease leg pains at night, but say that only works for a few days because you build up a tolerance quickly. But she still uses it once a month or so. We both take NADH which seems to promote healing and many other things for older people.

1 Like

Glad natural remedies are working for both of you.

I am not going to tell anyone to do or not do anything.

This is a good resource that analyzes Alternative Medicine and the medical studies that have been done about them.

It is a good resource

Had my first acupuncture session yesterday. I’d really prefer to pay cash without dealing with the insurance middle man, but the practitioner is still checking with insurance, so we’ll find out what I owe next week & go from there for payments.

I’d say, even though really three treatments are needed to at least go less frequently, the treatment was a success and a minimally painful (one site only) experience.

Third shifter, and the dreaded hours of between Midnight & 2 AM came & went without the usual neck & shoulder pain that precede or at least accompany migraine. I could also see clearly, unlike when I’m having symptoms & for some reason my eyes gravitate towards the line part of my glasses.

Am willing to return & would recommend for anyone wanting to try it for a particular problem. Am also doing some dietary changes from one of their leaflets, largely increasing the amount of water consumed & making vegetables a bigger part of diet. Love green tea, but alas won’t be giving up coffee :coffee:.

There are many insurance plans that will cover the cost of acupuncture; however, the practioner has to have a NPI number issued by the Center of Medicaid Services.

Acupuncture was a great success for my back and hip issues.

1 Like

Maybe try medical marijuana, if legal. Seems to help some ppl a lot with migraines and chronic pain. Or CBD.

1 Like

I know some states have marijuana legal for opioid replacement. It’s no joke - CBD and THC help with pain relief. THC really helps my IT band relax and my leg muscles, but unfortunately gives me anxiety. But that’s not medical, and I dont have a card. But I hope to be able to try a high CBD and very low THC marijuana strain for my chronic IT pain if it becomes legal where I live. CBD helps though and that is legal, if hemp derived. Although, I think THC in small amounts with high CBD + terpenes is great for pain relief / lowering anxiety. It’s a fascinating drug with so many plant variants. I would rather do that then get hooked on norco / hydrocodone

I am open to medicinal marijuana. I just hope I don’t need to look for another job any time soon as I don’t think prospective employers accept it when the THC comes back positive.

But I have already phoned a cannabis doctor & know when to go for a walk in evaluation and pay for the state card; also know where to buy the products.

1 Like

Ya it’s a valid concern and obviously depends on the employer. If you do try it out, and have no experience, be very careful with edibles and start with low dosages. Like, one gummy bear can get you very high. I’d recommend oil tinctures to control your dose, and if smoking just take one small hit and that’s it. Wait 2 hours. One thing that is not explained and regulated well is dosage. But you cant physically OD unless you take an absolutely insane amount (not even sure if possible) so it’s more just a matter of making sure you dont get extremely high :sunglasses: - it’s a safe drug minus any negative side effects like paranoia/anxiety that comes from high THC strains. Which is why I recommend high CBD strains for newcomers

I did biofeedback for migraines and learned to slow my heart rate. I also have done acupuncture and while the scientist in me knows it’s crap I also know the the placebo and nocebo effects are very real.

You can always try pure CBD. It’s legal. Try cbdistillery oil tincture or a local wellness shop in your area. Like a 500mg bottle…16mg 1ML tincture to start out. You wont get high or anything.

1 Like

One of my trainees mentioned something similar about the edibles. “If it doesn’t take effect right away, don’t assume you need to take more. It will take effect and you don’t want too high a dose.”

MM is used to help those facing nausea from chemo, helps them develop an appetite and enjoy a meal. Is weight gain a side effect of marijuana?

That was one of the unwanted side effects of Divalproex, an anti seizure drug prescribed as a preventive by neuros. When it gets through kicking the user in the gut, it’s associated with appetite & weight gain. I put on 10 lbs, in part from that, in part from just plain old fashioned feeding my face.

Be careful with the CBD though.

My wife was doing it and contracted a skin rash and a respiratory problem.

She thought it was a bunch of other things but recently stopped taking the nightly CBD tincture and her problems are clearing up.

Might be something with the particular thing that she was taking… but just be aware.

2 Likes

I have had good experience with homeopathic remedies. According to AMA medicine, they are only placebos.

My observation is that science shows that benefits of conventional medicine comes from placebo effect, but they also come with undesirable side effects. A basic tenet is that a drug is effective if is shows a statistically benefit compared to a placebo, but if a placebo gives most of the benefit without the side effects, why take the drug?

For information on placebo effect see:

If I take a homeopathic remedy and find that I feel better, I really don’t care whether the benefit was “real” or “just placebo effect”.

1 Like

What I really like about this practice is it’s more of a whole person approach—nutrition, relaxing Chinese music to ease anxiety, for example.

Neurology has its benefits, but it is symptom based & limited to improvement or at least slowing deterioration of the nervous system disorder & doesn’t really look at more of a natural approach to overall well being.