Alfie Evans rides off into the sunset, err, well, not exactly

Nothing miraculous about misdiagnosis.

Doctors get things wrong. But you still have to trust their medical expertise at some point.

No, giving oxygen is ā€œpalliative careā€.

Removing it was simply a way to attempt to expedite his death.

4 doctors all got it wrong.

And weā€™re then supposed to blindly accept whatever a doctor tells us?

Youā€™ve talked yourself into a deep, dark, hole.

Offering an overdose of painkillers is palliative care. It kills the patient regardless.

Not blindly, no.

Medical malpractice is the 2nd or 3rd leading cause of death in the US. You think I have far more faith in the judgement of medical professionals than I actually do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/03/researchers-medical-errors-now-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-united-states/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a1b3d63ccdde

Iā€™m not assuming anything, Iā€™m reading your posts.

Malpractice doesnā€™t even make the top 10 causes of death in the US.

What an amazing story! So glad heā€™s doing well. And itā€™s one example proving the fact doctors arenā€™t always right.

Thatā€™s going by the old criteria that didnā€™t group/report medical malpractice correctly. 250k might be lowballing it as well, other estimates are putting it closer to 400k.

Doctors fought those numbers for years as they figured it couldnā€™t possibly be that high, but itā€™s widely accepted as accurate now.

I believe the CDC may be changing how they collect the data in the next few years.

They were with Charlie, and thatā€™s exactly what this case is reminding me of.

But why deny them the chance to take the boy to Italy for medical care? It is THEIR child, NOT the governments!!

If and when the boy dies, I hope the parents to sue. However, this being the UK, they probably have no right to do that, as the government in its wisdom knows what is best for the child. (sarcasm obviously)

Maybe if the hospitals face legal action they wonā€™t be so quick to do this again. Itā€™s just a short time ago they did this to another family.

The Doctors were right in the Charlie Gard case. The doctor that offered a supposedly experimental treatment had to later admit that he had never examines Charlie or his medical data, and if he had he would have never offered his treatment as it wouldnā€™t have worked.

The Doctors primary concern is Alfie, not the parents. The father is insisting that Alfie is healthy, that should tell you where his mind is at.

This story is big news everywhere, and the coverage has not been favorable to the hospital and UK government. And I donā€™t just mean from sources where I would expect.

No youā€™re quoting a single study in which they say that medical errors ā€œmayā€ be a contributing factor in up to 1/3 of deaths, not malpractice.

that means at some point the patient may have had a misdiagnosis, missed diagnosis, given the wrong medication, not given the best or most appropriate medication etc. yada, yada, yada.

Again, see this report from CDC.

See page five.

Yet again, medical malpractice doesnā€™t even make the top 15.

Well Iā€™m stating the very obvious, but when a child is involved itā€™s the parents who make medical decisions.

I agree Alfie is not healthy. Denial is a very strong thing. Nevertheless, there are cases that were considered hopeless and yet something miraculous occurred. And doctors are not always right. Italy has offered to take him and his parents the UK government has nothing to lose by granting the request. They are being treated like prisoners.

Obviously you did not click on that link I provided that had a picture of Alfie in his motherā€™s arms.

Alfie belongs to his PARENTS. Not the hospital. Not a judge. Not the government.

His PARENTS should be making medical decisions, and their wishes should be granted.

This is evil. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

1 Like

Government ethics over parentsā€™.

1 Like

Heā€™s not a corpse. Thereā€™s no such thing as a breathing corpse.

1 Like

Emotional appeal does not change the facts.

In situations like this are always tough, but I tend to side with the parents in this particular case. If they had already been allowed to take the child to Italy to get the treatment they want to try, chances are they already would have seen it not work and would have let the child pass.

What worries me in situations like this is, as others have mentioned, if we get into a Charlie Gard situation where the parents are willing to listen to any quack offering them hope when there is very likely none.

Alfie has already proven the doctors are wrong. Heā€™s been breathing on his own now for many hours. At least one Member of Parliament has offered support for the parents.

There is going to be an emergency meeting now with the parents. Many people are praying they will be able to take their son to Italy.