A third of Americans now believe that violence for political reasons is justified

And look how much that has grown in last three years:

Before everyone predictably jumps to their battle stations - “It’s Trump’s fault !!” , “It’s liberals fault !!” “Yeah but what about blah blah blah”, it’s worthy of note that the percentage of these is remarkable equal on both sides of the aisle.

And if you dive deeper into the analysis, it’s those who identify on far ends of the spectrum “very liberal/conservative” who are most likely to take that position. It supports something that I’ve read a while ago from Alan Watts and that is the most dangerous people in the world are those who are most convinced that they are right and others are wrong.

1 Like

Both parties have been stoking division for years. This isn’t new. What is new is now our leaders are no longer even trying to hide it. Talks of seceding from the Union on one side, martial law on the other, and Civil War on both. Scary.

1 Like

Looks like Stalin was right.

3 Likes

I’ve not really heard anyone highly visible talk about Civil War yet.

However, we’ve been in a cold Civil War for a while and it’s not like a hot Civil War is unprecedented :man_shrugging:

No, he wasn’t right. That experiment could not have free democratic elections in order for it to work and only last 70 years even without them.

Yes, I have been saying for a while that both parties use to fight for the middle but for the better part of the last decade they both seem to be throwing the middle finger at the middle and forcing us to pick one or not they don’t care.

It’s the same old same old that’s been going on since the 60s (probably longer). It used to be patriots and hard working Americans versus draft dodging hippies. Now it’s Conservatives who want to make America like it was again versus Liberals who want to destroy it. The more things change the more they stay the same. New boss same as the old boss.

1 Like

Yeah. A third of Americans are idiots(actually more).

The idiocracy is real. Just look at our National response to the pandemic.

4 Likes

So one-third of Americans are honest with themselves and two-thirds are still fooled into thinking that the policies they like aren’t backed with violence. We still have work to do.

1 Like

A third of Americans are no longer too timid to admit it.

“Policies I like are backed with (usually implicit threat of) violence” is not at all the same as “I think it’s fine to be violent against those who don’t agree with my politics”

I bet there are some very intelligent high-IQ people who are just willing to go that far simply because they’re convinced that their worldview is right and others’ is wrong and they’ll do whatever it takes to defend it.

Hopefully they’re smart enough to know…the political and geographical boundaries of their suicidal stupidity?

I think that Fidel Castro was believed to have an IQ of around 170. Obviously, not easy to confirm.

That one of those online tests? I got him beat.

Yeah, guess who Carlin was talking about?

1 Like

Everyone…and if that had to be explained…I know which half you’re in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No different this election