A history of Liberty that costs many lives

Whilst I believe in equality, I am obligated to respect your right to have your own opinion. You have that right no matter how myopic or obtuse your reasoning. Myopic is appropriate as each event occurs in a context. For instance, the Gettysburg address. Near the middle of the text it states, “We cannot consecrate”. This sounds ominous but we do not know what it means without the understanding of the rest of the speech.

Another example would be the beginning of the preamble to the Constitution. “We the people” means nothing without context. Yet the end of the preamble contains this, “and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

I could add an example from the Declaration of Independence, it would start with “We hold” but in this case when we reached created equal most would not comprehend the statement even in the full context of the text. To understand this sentiment, you must understand the context of the culture during that era. Who amongst us today understand a caste social structure where your place in society is determined at birth? That is antithetical to American values but still common in many parts of the world.

AS America has fought many wars since the adoption of the Constitution, we may presume that the preservation of that Constitution may play a small part of the root cause of conflict in at least one of them. Perhaps even there is agreement that the civil war was to preserve the union.

If we can find common ground on this, then there is hope that Liberty is a common theme in great American treatise. Yes, some of you will bring up the trail of tears and leave out the history of European powers arming the Indians to attack the Western Frontier. Context again plays a roll. We always tend to ignore the European influence in the conflict.

Back to liberty. A small number of pensive persons would deny the role America played in protecting democracy from tyranny during the great world wars. In this context please consider the American deaths during the Civil War, WW1, and WW2. Not to mention casualties in conflicts post 1947.

Now that I have presented some context please consider what is happening in America today. Masks are not a singular prescription to save lives. They are part of a much larger surveillance, conscription and control program to save lives. How many lives could have been saved in history if we would have simply relinquished our rights and accepted the loss of liberty.

We do not know the context of the conscription being forced upon us today as there is indeed censorship underway. But someday even people like you, will regret your sheepish point of view.

2 Likes

Ask the USSR. Ask China. Venezuela. Vietnam. Cambodia. Ethiopia. North Korea. Iran. Iraq. Afghanistan. Yugoslavia. Romania. Bulgaria. Cuba. Germany. Italy. Albania. Angola.

Yes, giving up liberty is just a recipe for utopia and lack of murder… except for the times when it led to mass murder BY that benevolent government.

In the words of Reagan:

You and I know and do not believe that life is so dear and peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. If nothing in life is worth dying for, when did this begin – just in the face of this enemy? Or should Moses have told the children of Israel to live in slavery under the pharaohs? Should Christ have refused the cross? Should the patriots at Concord Bridge have thrown down their guns and refused to fire the shot heard 'round the world? The martyrs of history were not fools, and our honored dead who gave their lives to stop the advance of the Nazis didn’t die in vain. Where, then, is the road to peace? Well it’s a simple answer after all.

You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, “There is a price we will not pay.” “There is a point beyond which they must not advance.”

3 Likes

nice reply

Good post. Good reply!

1 Like

Liberty is the love of life and being.

There is no crisis that can change this. No amount of projections and statistics can justify destroying our precious liberty.

I have been taught and understand liberty must always be fought for.

I will fight and hold liberty in the highest regard.

One hero of liberty from Oil City Pennsylvania.

:statue_of_liberty:

2 Likes

Man! Where were you with all this hand wringing when Trump said:

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida… go to court would have taken a long time. Take the guns first, go through due process second.”

it is typical for people with no argument to resort to a political snipe. It is ridiculous to compare something that did not happen to something that is happening. Sort of like comparing a mosquito bite to covid-19. Or maybe getting drunk and throwing up to stomach cancer.

So if you cannot relate to the points made in the OP it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

1 Like