A blessed solstice to all

It has to do with which constellation rises immediately followed by the rising sun. It’s a clock.

Yes…

I get that…but it still observable just different time and location.

The constellations are always visible, but only one rises on top of the sunrise during the equinox for 2,160 years at a time (in the northern hemisphere).

Fun fact: the Great Pyramid is a 1:43,200 scale geometric representation of the norther hemisphere, and it’s extremely accurate.

LOL I had really really long hair once. :wink:

Can you delete that picture thou. :wink:

As for scenery…I basically live in those mountain when I was going through some really dark time in my life. Far from any city lights night sky caught my interest.

Yup. Done. It didn’t occur to me till after I’d replied…

Thanks.

As you said, you want your scope to be portable.

I still have that scope but don’t use it much…I’m having a hard time setting it up by myself now. Back then throwing hundred pounds around was nothing.

Now if I had to do over again…I wouldn’t do the fork mount since now there some really good mounts. That scope is fork mount which is very good for tracking but you need to set that up with total precision.

You little more flexibility with German Equatorial mount.

How about alt azimuth? Any better?

It’s cloudy here. :pleading_face:

Yeah, here too. It’s going to be visible for several days and get brighter, but today they were at their closest point…

The middle of the Pacific ocean on a clear night is amazing. Horizon to horizon stars.

Aren’t azimuth basically the same? Not familiar with them. I know now with computerized you don’t have to be precise.

Yes…but you’re at sea level. :wink:

Also remember the higher in sky equal less atmosphere. Equals less atmosphere distortion. Thus you can move up with nice eye pieces.

Trick with eye piece is eye relief. That’s important specially if you’re planing on long night through a scope.

But it’s super clear out there.

And it’s supper clear high up in mountains too…and hell lot less atmosphere.

Every thousand feet up is something like 9 percent less distortion…or is that 11 percent. :thinking:

I spent 18 years helping to build this telescope and get it up and running afterword.

1 Like

■■■■■■■ a man.

Nice scope.

Two 8.4 meter mirrors. Each one weighs 20 tons. That’s just the glass.

Yes…a light bucket for sure.

And those mirror are grind to such precision. It’s unimaginable to think.