9/11 alleged mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and 2 others reach plea deal

They could have done this 20+ years ago.

In the end, no death penalty.

They will serve life in prison.

Once the sentence becomes final, they should be moved to ADX Florence and get us closer to closing Guantanamo Bay.

2 Likes

Man. I’d rather die than live out my life in a supermax

He is 59, so he at least is well on the way.

I don’t think we should ever close Gitmo.
During the WoT the left went crazy and started making crazy stupid demands that seriously imperil our nationa security. That necessitated the opening of a prison facility at Gitmo.

They have shown no signs, (zero) of gaining sanity and renouncing their crazy ideas so, the facility there remains necessary.

1 Like

It was NEVER necessary.

Most of the detainees should have been left in the war theater where they were captured and released at the end of active hostilities.

Those chosen for prosecution should have been brought into the United States and tried in the Article III Courts, which have an excellent track record in prosecuting terror cases.

The Military Commission system has been one of the biggest failures and embarrassments in our history. Almost a full quarter of a century and NOTHING to show for it.

Of course, by using torture, the United States likely blew any chance of ever getting the death penalty for most of these defendants, but they still would have been convicted years ago and would be long forgotten in a civilian Federal prison, had they been brought before Article III Courts.

Guantanamo Bay needs to be closed, our equipment removed and the property returned to the sovereignty of Cuba.

The United States as not had to coal any vessels in well over a century, so our only legitimate reason to maintain jurisdiction there is long gone.

3 Likes

So never.

What do we get out of it??

the living death of supermax.

Allan

In WW2 Japanese soldiers, wearing uniforms and carrying their arms openly (required by the Geneva Convention to protect civilians) captured on the battlefield were held in POW camps in the US.

In the WoT, terrorist â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  who do not care about civilians (and often target them deliberately) violated these longstanding rules of war and abided by neither condition. When they, like the Japanese before them. were captured the left in it shrill panicky attempt to demonize the US declared that those prisoners cannot be moved to US soil unless they are given full trials in US domestic courts. (lawyers, juries, eyewitnesses, line ups and positive IDs etc.)

It was a clear and obvious attempt to harm the US by requiring the US to give permanent freedom to anyone who fights us out of uniform.

1 Like

â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 

I didn’t actually realize Austin could do this:

Unfortunate.

They gave into the collective temper tantrum.

It has been a quarter century.

You will never get a conviction in the stupid military commissions. Almost 25 years.

And even if they got a conviction, these defendants will die natural deaths before they ever come close to be executed.

If people wanted justice, they should have gone in the Article III Courts.

Too â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  late for that now.

They will spend another 25 years â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  around with the military commissions, while the defendants die natural deaths.

Just â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  forget the death penalty, it will never happen.

1 Like

Well that’s still dying in prison which is what you wanted. Isn’t that justice of a sort?

Not so fast!

Awe but he really deserved death.

The deal broke. Austin denied it and did a coup.

1 Like

So he might still get injected yay!

Ya know being that he’s a prisoner of war and committed egregious war crimes, couldn’t they just do a court martial with a trio of generals, condemn him to death, and then execute him by firing squad?

Aww the poor terrorists didn’t get their way and now their supporters are sad. :rofl:

3 Likes

What happened to your warm fuzzies about civil liberty?

I’ve felt that as a war they should have all been detained and housed as prisoners of war.

I think both sides were weird about this, with some wanting to treat them as common criminals in some ways but as full national security threats after capture in other ways.

Could have been avoided had they just processed them as prisoners of war.

Or we could have pulled out an old World War II trick and declared them as “surrendered enemy personnel.” We did that after WWII so that we could continue using German and Japanese POW forced labor while ignoring the Geneva Convention and return them many years later.