50th Anniversary of Moon Landing

Should have been me up there floating in space assembling the space station and wearing a diaper…ultimate building/construction project.

1 Like

Back, back…no stop, go other way.

1 Like

Earthrise. Taken by Apollo 11

If I recall this was taken as soon as they touched down on lunar surface.

I’ll have to go back and look, but this particular one may have been taken from the CSM during or right around the time of lunar orbit rendezvous for the homeward trip.

The LRO took place in orbit where Earthrise was also happening. Here’s a picture of that (although now looking at them together your recollection may be correct…although the caption of your photo does state the image was taken from the Apollo 11 spacecraft).

You might be right, We bought the life magazine so we could see the color pictures from what I can remember.

I’m searching stuff as I recall them 50 years ago.

I’m sure the earth had raised in the sky over the 21 hour period that they were on surface. Got to remember the moon doesn’t rotate.

Landing site. Sea of Tranquility was near moons shadow.

Now this photo would have been hours…maybe 12 hours or so later?

What a great visual the astronauts had.

Amazing photo.

Keep in mind the higher earth rises on lunar surface more of earth is in the shadow during a full moon, and opposite during a new moon period…I think. Need more input.

Lace up your moon boots ladies…because one of you are going to the moon in next 5 years.

For sure they can make money. A lot of money. But I think it’s also reflective of how we continue to devalue education as a society.

If I ever win the lottery I’m definitely paying my way into space with one of these space tourism companies.

Hey @JayJay. More I think about this the more I think it was taken from lunar modular after touch down. Reason I say is lack of curvature.

You can see higher resolution here.

Click on higher resolution file.

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/object_page/a11_h_44_6552.html

I was 16 when the landing happened. As a kid I followed closely every launch and would make reports for my classmates at school. I lived in San Jose and my Dad had connections with the heads of NASA Ames Research Center where the Apollo Astronauts did some of their training. I got to see the lunar lander simulator and the centrifuges that they used. Cool stuff. One of the experiments that was left behind was a 1 meter square reflector. After they left the observatory on the mountain that overlooks San Jose (Lick Observatory) shot a laser at the reflector to get the exact distance between the earth and moon. The local paper carried a story about it but failed to mention that the laser beam would be invisible. So a lot of folks went out at night expecting to see a bright red beam shooting at the moon.
It took them a few days to lock in on the reflector, but when they did they found out that their calculated distance was only a few inches off. Here is a Wiki page about the experiment.

Lunar Laser Ranging experiments - Wikipedia

No Sparky, I was referring to you.

Did you think there would be an influx of young posters because you made this thread?

Dude this message board is dying there are only a handful of us regular posters.

Why would any kid aspire to be an astronaut today when we pretty much have absolutely no space program at all.

Youtube bloggers can make a great income just like streamers. Whats the difference between someone talking politics on youtube and a talking head sat in the CNN or Fox News studio?

That post is problematic.

For ■■■■■ sake instead of talking in riddles or trying to act pseudo intellectual just say what you mean.

The Moon landing happened four years before I was born.

I mean it’s problematic.

“Act psuedo-intellectual”? Does that mean you consider me an intellectual? Why thank you, what a nice thing to say!

You guys hear the one about Stanley Kubrick?

Apparently the guy was a real stickler for authenticity.

Therefore, he only agreed to be the director for all the fake moon landings if the filming was done on location.

1 Like