39,000 nursing home eviction notices to be sent in Louisiana Thursday

Both the State Senate and the House of Reps are controlled by Republicans by large margins.

Both US Senators are Republican

5 out of their 6 Congressional Representatives are Republican.

From the article (First Line in fact):
Louisiana’s Department of Health will begin sending nursing home eviction notices Thursday to more than 30,000 residents who could lose Medicaid under the budget passed by the state House of Representatives.

Sincr Medicaid recipients are supposed to be only the poor. Why should we provide freej housing food and healthcare while they keep assets for other uses?

Medicaid doesn’t kick in until one has used up all your assets.

Well according to the article they no longer qualify for Medicaid.

Because the Stats of Louisiana is cutting their Medicaid budget to shreds - so there won’t be any money to pay the state’s share of Medicaid reimburment to the nursing homes.

From the article:

“Louisiana’s Department of Health will begin sending nursing home eviction notices Thursday to more than 30,000 residents who could lose Medicaid under the budget passed by the state House of Representatives.

“The Louisiana Department of Health is beginning the process of notifying all impacted enrollees that some people may lose their Medicaid eligibility,” Department of Health spokesman Bob Johannessen said. “The goal of the department is to give notice to all affected people as soon as possible in order that they begin developing their appropriate plans.”

“some people.”

I wonder which ones.
I wonder why a perfectly good journalist would forget to describe the new cutoff.

Hmm.

Maybe it will be those who have a higher monthly SS income so the State thinks they can make other arrangements.

But, any income they are getting from SS is peanuts compared to cost of nursing home. There is no way these people have enough to care for themselves.

The average cost of nursing home care is $82K/ year.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2016-11-16/how-to-pay-for-nursing-home-costs

We take care of or parents in our homes, not shove them into nursing homes, forget them and ask out neighbors to pick up the tab.

All you have to do is put them in a trust well ahead of time to circumvent that.

I’m starting to suspect this is going to end up being similar to Obama’s shut down protocols that purposely made the gov’t shutdown as painful as possible on the public in order to demonize the republicans.

what happened to the edit button grr

There are definitely ways to get around it but most people don’t have enough assets to do that.

I hope you all have good long term care insurance, too. Was a godsend for the last 6 months of my dad’s life life when he needed 24/7 care. He was able to be at home.

there is an opportunity for some compassionate people to step in and help those poor people.

Any compassionate people here?

Other little tidbits from the article:

President Obama expanded the program by allowing states to cover millions more low-income adults.

Apparently they got along somehow in 2008 without nursing homes and without living under bridges. Whatever income ir assets or family or ability they have,
seniors survived without it in 1965, and in 1966, and in 1976, and in 1986, 1996, 2006, 2009 and all the years in between.

Now it would apparently be heartless gut wrenching terrible and cruel to let them return to those terrible terrible conditions inflicted upon seniors by cruel heartless Presidents like Kennedy, Carter and Clinton. (Sorry I could not resist the sarcasm, given the gripping scare-the-old-folks tone of the article.)

ALSO from the article:

the vast majority of nursing homes will close." The would also eliminate more than 25,000 jobs in the industry, Berger said.

I am sure that is true. But it is interesting to note that after paying for the construction of the building, after paying for the bed, the electricity, the cost of groceries, these seniors, who did not need these things in 1998 now need all that, plus almost one government salaried employee employee per senior.

I wonder. If we offered the families of these seniors HALF that would their families take them back?

It seems to me we have other options to explore.

Not everyone has children or other family.

Many people have family who can’t take care of them because they aren’t qualified to give the kind of care the person may need.

Home care aides can cost between $15-$25 an hour. Not everyone can afford that either.

Yes thank you and God bless you zantax!

why is it the government’s job?

Not everyone can afford high taxes either, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Were it up to me, seniors families would get the bill first, then if they were shown not to be able to pay it, then and only then would the tax payer get the bill. I wonder how many grandmas with rich kids and grandkids are sitting in these places paid by medicare? Who would it be more fair to send the bill to in those cases? Their extended families or tax payers?

So what did seniors like these do in 1967? in 1977? under Bill Clinton?

Whatever that was many of these soon-to-be evicted seniors still have that sort of option open to them.

What would YOU have done in 1997 if your mom were in this same category?

That’s a personal question. You don’t have to post your answer here. But in your heart you know what your answer would be.

guarantee that a significant percentage are just milking the system. It would be worth finding them and then giving them the bill for the people who truly need help.