2024 begins with a new wave of tech layoffs

As the restaurant, hotel and entertainment industries are experiencing some sort of boom (or mini-boom), 2024 has begun with a significant wave of layoffs in the tech sector.

Kobeissi notes the layoffs, while tech focused are not limited to just tech.

2 Likes

It’s disheartening to hear about the layoffs in the tech sector amidst the positive trends in other industries. Hopefully, affected professionals can swiftly find new opportunities in this dynamic job market. Wishing everyone impacted a smooth transition.

1 Like

They should learn how to mine.

3 Likes

Hasn’t tech been laying off for the past couple of years as well?

Growing the low wage dead end jobs, losing the good paying jobs. Bidenomics!

Tech went through at least one round of layoffs in 2022 and another in 2023.
The last six months or so has not announced any/many worth notice.
(Might have something to do with a big new temporary Fed program announced in Mar 2023, but I really don’t know.)

That’s it!

A lot of gaming and tech companies overhired during Covid so some of this is a correction to that.

2 Likes

Good paying jobs aren’t lost. Lots of these people are going into to sectors that have been starving for SWE talent. Think fintech, Gov, healthcare.

Getting seasoned engineers from top tier tech companies is great. This is evening the playing field more.

That’s what I’ve been doing since graduating college in 08. If I get laid off that’s it I’m never gonna do this crap again.

Way too much outsourcing/insourcing in this line of work if you are with a fortune 500 company it might be 30% Indians if you’re in a fortune 100 company (like me) it will be 90+% Indian workers.

Aka my workers, you can see we need more diversity. If anyone tells you as a software engineer that it’s not like that at their job, they don’t work at a fortune 100 company period. Steer your children away from it they will be competing against people that will work the same job for a quarter of the pay and no benefits and there’s millions of them willing to do it from India

IMG_0394

2 Likes

Capitalism at work.

But you bring up a good point the field is saturated. My son has his eyes set on electrical engineering for college. Told him if that does not work out he can ditch it for structural like his uncle but don’t go software.

It happens many ways
Gov’t Officials just put an end to the Amazon acquisition of iRobot (maker if Zoomba.)
iRobot promptly laid-off

apparently if amazon owns one of the many many many robot vacuum companies in the world they might possibly maybe could be speculatively hypothetically in theory maybe do something that would disfavor some of the other companies.

So the deal had to be nixed.
By the same government logic If people owned cars they might possibly maybe hypothetically use them in crimes so cars should be illegal too. (Not to mention kitchen knives.)

It’s not like that in electrical engineering. I have two friends that are in electrical and two in mechanical engineering they don’t have the insourcing/outsourcing problem (yet anyways).

It’s crony capitalism they are breaking the law and getting away with it they hold mock interviews where I work with no intention to hire the American worker. They have three offshoring company managers on my floor alone and if they need 10 software developers for a project the offshore managers will issues the visas I have watched this go down for 12 years now.

They supposed to make sure that no American can do the job before issuing the visa, I assure you they don’t even try and issue the visas for us anyway to Mumbai.

The majority of my friends are Indians from work they all live three-four people to one apartment and most of them send the money back home although some want to stay.

1 Like

Snapchat is laying off approximately 500 people.

Outside of the tech industry I know continued tech automation and AI adoption is resulting in some significant layoffs.

Somehow, I don’t think it will lead to layoffs in the government though.

Amazing, huh?

Ha probably not, though several years ago the UK had a lot of layoffs in the civil service. Eliminated a lot of duplicative positions as well as a bloat of senior management.

1 Like

Curry lunch days must be fire at your job though.

Truth be told the US government has (for decades) been hiring contractors and doing tings online at such a rate that the # of government employees has actually gotten smaller over the years.

It is definitely a (small) win for taxpayers and conservatives.

1 Like