Zechariah 13:6-8

I created this thread because of a comment that was made to my post in the politics forum. The discussion is more appropriate for this forum.

I quoted Zechariah 13:6-7

Poster responded with:

This verse is when Jesus & His Saints destroyed all the enemies of the Jews & the battle was over. It has nothing to do with your assertion.

My response to his post:

Zechariah 13:6 ". . . . and if one asks him, ‘what are these wounds on your back?’ he will say 'the wounds I received in the house of my friends. “Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, Against the Man who is My Companion,” Says the Lord of hosts. “Strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered.

Matthew says Jesus applied this text directly to his betrayal and death . . . . . . . . . . . .Matthew 26:31 "Then Jesus said to them, "You will all fall away because of me this night; for it is written, 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’"

The Apostle Peter says the OT prophets spoke of the "suffering of Christ and the glory to follow."

1 Peter 1 "Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, ---- who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven – things which angels desire to look upon."

Jesus and Peter both identified Zechariah’s prophecy as being Christ’s betrayal "in the house of his friends."

I recommend that you not use this passage to refer to Jesus, because it doesn’t seem to mean what you intend it to say.

In a chapter referring to false prophets who are being called out, the false prophet will be condemned to death, as false prophets are consigned to capital punishment. This fellow, who has been called out by his parents is scrabbling about for any excuse to not be killed.

He refers to the wounds on his hands, as the false prophets would cut themselves, and the hallucination caused by blood loss would provide said false prophesy. So… When asked, “What are these wounds between your hands?” The last ditch effort to save himself is, “I was smitten in the house of my friends!”

I’m not a believer in Jesus, as I am an Orthodox Jew. However, I’m pretty sure that a false prophet condemned to die isn’t the image you want to associate with Jesus.