As we all know we are in the lame duck season of 2018. I want to see what people have going on with their state houses. Is anything being passed under the cover of night? Here in Michigan, we have the bi-annual screeching-fest from Democrats as Republicans in our state like to pass their most controversial plans in the lame duck of an election year. So far they have introduced/passed through one chamber:
- Removing local municipalities from preserving forested land rules (urban forests)
- Gutting two citizen initiatives they passed in September keep off the ballot (not sure if legal, never been done before)
- Removing the bottle deposit law from 1978
- Attempting to ram through a 99 year agreement with Enbridge in less than one month (There’s been such as outcry on this one, they have shelved it for a couple of days)
- Have introduced a bill that would give the GOP Legislature a voice in court cases as Democrats take power everywhere else in the state
So, what is going on in your neck of the woods? Do you have a Lame Duck session in your state? Are there any controversial laws being proposed?