Your favorite religious artwork?

Painting, sculpture…whatever…

What is your favorite artwork with a religious theme and why?

Dude was 24 when he made this masterpiece.

Of course Michelangelo and da Vinci were the greatest artists and sculptors

This is my favorite piece only because I own it. It is very old. I have had wildly different professional opinions and appraisals, often contradictory about it including, who it is, age, and possible artist. A director at the Louvre tried to help me identify it.

When I was little, in the 50’s my mother used the restroom at an antique shop in Long Island and this was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I speculated that a US serviceman in France brought it to America after the war. Or maybe it was stolen by a Nazi who came to the US. It is an Altar panel.

I always assumed it was Joan of Arc. Not all agree.

The first pro who saw it in person, at a big auction house said…“13th century wood”. immediately.

I said, “Joan was in the 15th century.”. Then he had no idea.

Anyone want to theorize about it? It is 28" high 16" wide 1.5"—2" thick Lots of wormholes. Look at it close up.

Christ Our Pilot
by Warner Sallman
(boldness and nothing to fear because of Christ presence and on your side…He got your back no matter what)

The Chess Player
by Moritis Retzch
(not theological sound but thought provoking battle for your soul)

The Creation Of Adam
by Michelagelo
(seen a student interpretation with Walt Disney finger touching micky mouse finger that intrigued me to learn about the “original” which it was based on)

Can’t theorize, but ir is beautiful.

1 Like

Sure has a Jeanne d’Arc look to me!

1 Like

1 Like

One of my favorites too. The whole mass of items behind/surrounding God is in the shape of a brain, symbolizing the Mind of God. Within that brain, nestled under God’s left arm, is Eve, already contained in the Mind of God.

Just discovered this one recently. I think I was looking for something on the gazelle:

It’s a depiction of teaching kindness to animals in Islam. Regardless of how one feels about Shi’i Islam in particular, I think it’s a beautiful painting.

The Mezuzah is a pretty way to bless a Jewish home. Information about the Biblical origins of this tradition can be found in the article.

If I were a betting man, I’d say this was Deborah?

hmmmm. I’ll have to look at that.

You can’t see it in the right upper corner, there used to be little Fleur-de-lis on matching shield…I remember, I think, from yrs ago. There is a vague outline of the little shield shaped missing piece.

I’ll look at this amazing alternate theory of yours.

Inspiring idea.

A French sculpture of Deborah

She is probably depicted with Armor…elsewhere

Yes here is one

1 Like

If you remember the time period from the Book of Judges, her commander was Barak and it was very volatile. She was the only woman judge ever and I’d guess…she was pretty tough. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I need to search out more French Examples… Because of the wood age, it is possible. It is also true that the “Maid of Orleans” legend predates Jeanne d’Arc by a couple hundred years although Jeanne became known as the “Maid” as well.

The “Maid” story could be related to the Song of Deborah as a woman Savior being.