Young People Triggered By Periods

Talk about some next level psychobabble!

According to a 2015 study from State University of New York, Binghamton, those who finish messages with periods are viewed as insincere, the Daily Mail said, adding that the debate resurfaced after writer Rhiannon Cosslett tweeted: “Older people — do you realize that ending a sentence with a full stop comes across as sort of abrupt and unfriendly to younger people in an email/chat? Genuinely curious.”

This thread was not what I thought it going to be about when I first saw the title. :wink:

That said, I would definitely NOT qualify as a young adult these days but I will say a period does look awkward in texting, in that yes in some way hard to describe it connotes an air of dismissiveness, impoliteness, or even disdain. I rarely use them while texting or IMing.

Triggered? That’s a stretch.

1 Like

Sorry, but I text in full sentences and sentences end with punctuation.

Why is it psychobabble?

Texting is a language all its own, with its own rules for grammar and sentence construction.

If you want to use it to communicate, you should study the rules like you would for any language you learned.

I admit I use punctuation a lot, and actually got told about this “texting double” by someone so recently I try and do what they do…and break up thoughts into multiple tweets.

I thought the article did a fair job explaining how such conventions evolved in texting.

To call it psychobabble is to say “they’re not doing it the way I want to do it so screw them!”

Learn something new every day

Stopped by to see if this was grammatical or biological…Got my answer.

:man_shrugging:t3:

As I’ve been told before, know your audience, @markdido. And know how to read an article in it’s entirety.

They didn’t mentioned anything about people being “triggered” in the same way they would be about things that that have originally been called “triggering”. This is a mundane sociological observation.

My text messages use full punctuation. That won’t change.

1 Like

Same here. All punctuation.

according to one random news article.

These young people were triggered by periods too. :astonished:

Young people, do you realize when you say something to a Boomer like “Yes, Gen-Y/Z is a bunch of pansies” while simultaneously pointing your eyes upward by 1/2 inch, they may interpret this as derision rather than genuine agreement?

Americans - do you realize that a sideways head bobble from an Indian indicates agreement?

It’s almost like learning that different groups have different communication norms may be beneficial!!!

As I get older, I find the " : " rather intimidating :rofl:

3 Likes

Someone first messaged me with an appropriately used semicolon the other day and I suddenly felt under dressed.

1 Like

Brought to you by the same sensitive, caring sorts who sounded the alarm at the intimidation of teachers marking mistakes with red ink, so they switched to a more mellow purple :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You had been having a nice day; however, some jerk hit you with the SC and upset your chill.

Ugh, its too hot for a dress tie.

Now I’ve heard everything. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s sure a lot of babble to rationalize the triggering of youth. :wink:

Nowhere in the article did it say anyone was “triggered”.

In fact, the only ones I see being triggered are the ones who are calling it “psychobabble”.

What makes you think the word has to be used in the article for it to be the appropriate description of their reaction? Generally speaking, the Media doesn’t use that word when talking about libs.