WSJ: GM suddenly abandons its EV goals

You pay taxes… you aren’t special. Don’t act like you are.

There is a need for the infrastructure… that is a separate thing from wanting to drive a diesel.

1 Like

If there is no overwhelming demand for these vehicles then the infrastructure dollars are better spent elsewhere.

I’ve driven all over the western half of the country the last few months. You know what I see parked at charging stations?

Nothing…empty parking spaces…

You want to waste infrastructure dollars on cars people aren’t buying…and by the way vehicles that weigh significant more than gas vehicles…

“Electric vehicles are under increasing scrutiny from safety experts over the risks they pose in a crash, because of their incredible weight and power.

“The weight of these vehicles, and the weight of these battery packs in these vehicles, is quite significant,” said Raul Arbelaez of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.” Why the ‘significant’ weight of electric vehicles is sparking new safety fears - National | Globalnews.ca

So not only do you want to waste infrastructure dollars on vehicles people aren’t buying…you want to waste those dollars on vehicles the could pose a safety risk and because of their weight are going to more quickly damage our existing infrastructure.

Great ■■■■■■■ plan.

Build the infrastructure and they will come. Especially urban infrastructure.

I’ve always been in support of offering tax breaks for companies who invest in charging infrastructure.

I think that’s the best way to do it.

1 Like

Spoken like a typical smartest guy in the room climate cultist.

This isn’t Field of Dreams dude.

Our limited infrastructure dollars are better spent elsewhere.

Denial in climate change has nothing to do with the global shift away from petroleum.

It would be better if we as a nation were ahead of the curve instead of behind it.

Less than 10% of car buyers bought an ev last year.

These things are being forced on us (by a guy whose political career will hopefully please God be over in a year and a half).

They are being forced on us based on some lie that they are better for the environment, they really aren’t just because the run in electricity only means we’ll be burning more fossil fuels to generate the electricity, plus the extra weight plus the damage the production of the raw materials for the batteries can do plus the safety concerns raised above.

If people want to buy these things the market will know it and respond accordingly…

People don’t support Biden’s EV mandates…hopefully the next president will flush them down the toilet.

“ According to a Pew Research Center poll released last week, almost 60% oppose “phasing out the production of new gasoline cars and trucks by 2035.” Opposition has grown by 7 percentage points in just two years.

Biden’s policy would force automakers to ensure that 67% of all new vehicles sold were electric vehicles by 2032.

Pew did not mention it to respondents, but there is simply no way automakers will be able to obtain all the necessary rare earth minerals needed to produce that many electric vehicles in less than a decade. Neither will automakers be able to install the charging station capacity to keep that many electric vehicles running.” Most drivers don’t want Biden’s electric vehicle mandate | Washington Examiner

“It is not an understatement to say that the 2024 election will determine whether or not the working class can buy a car in 2032.”

I sure don’t support them.

Even if the scientists are wrong (IPCC scientists say the oceans will rise only 13 inches in 100 years) and the eco-panic cult is right, there are much better ways to fix the problem than for central planners to decide which technology is the best way and then subsidize that one into destroying all others.

No…

Why not?

TESLA is perfectly free to buy old gas stations,
or build new ones,
or add their “pumps” to existing ones.

I just don’t want my tax dollars going to subsidize it.

2 Likes

100% agree.

2 Likes

“National” charging stations? Not with my tax dollars. What a waste of money.

Let private enterprises build them. We have a mall here with charging stations. Folks can go shopping, have lunch, etc.

Having one where you are stranded or have to wait in line is just really dumb.

I’d be much more inclined to buy a hybrid than an electric.

2 Likes

Inflation Reduction Act has a huge section on expanding charging infrastructure across the country, will roll out over the next decade.

Includes super generous rebates and credits for homeowners and small businesses to upgrade electrical and install charging equipment.

Don’t miss out! We will be taking advantage of this program for sure.

Only idiots and suckers ever thought that slave-made EV’s were some kind of stable utopia.

Public education has failed urban America. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s already happening through the Inflation Reduction Act. If you have a business try looking up how affordable it will be to put in charging stations at your business.

If people want to buy an ev that’s up to them.

But right now we have a president who has mandated ev’s…mandates that are both impractical and impossible. People can’t afford the stupid things and don’t want them.

So in January of 2025 when someone who’s not the worst president ever is sworn in and rolls back all those ev mandates then what?

We should assume GM knows more about the viability of EV’s than any lifelong bureaucrat in the Biden administration…

So if the kook fringe lib position is “let’s spend taxpayer money to build charging stations for EV’s to save an industry building cars that the industry is telling us people don’t want (I think that made sense)…maybe we should listen instead of pissing money we don’t have away.

We are like $37 trillion in debt right?

Starting this year, $7500 in tax credits available for purchasing an EV and that is in force for a decade.

Also included in Inflation Reduction Act, generous government rebates for updating home electrical panels to accommodate EV charging.

And then you too can tie up limited space in your parking lot on spots that only a limited number of people will be able to park in!!!

Hard pass…

GM is reducing production for a reason…