Will Mitch follow his own standards?

I rarely agree with you but you are right. Some crazy Dems will go too far and that will play into Trump’s hand, negating this whole court issue for Dems.

[quote=“Safiel, post:32, topic:235483, full:true”]
If Biden wins and Democrats take the Senate, they will likely quickly counter this move.

Safiel, please list, if any, which one of your counter measures you so described will not be at least contemplated by either party in similar circumstances of a justice passing away right before a general election.

And noteworthy here is every sitting President prior has nominated his replacement pick in without exception.

I would think McConnell would do a head count. The Dims won’t approve any Trump nominee even if it were a black woman! Romney, McCluskey both nays. How many vulnerable Republicans in the Nov 3rd election should there be a vote?
The Rs really need to think this thing out.

Both the Dems and Republicans already know what their respective next moves - legal maneuver’s are long before a seat on the Supreme Court even suddenly becomes vacant.

And if Biden wins, and a Dem Senate happens…a clear signal the American people don’t want Trump making the nomination?

Exactly!

JWK

Those who reject abiding by the text of our Constitution, and the intentions and beliefs under which it was agree to, as documented from historical records and gives context to its text, wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

1 Like

I’m sure McConnell knows he already has the votes.

Not to mention there’s a political aspect here…the GOP needs this one in case there are election court battles.

They will move on this at light speed.

2 Likes

Hopefully (light speed part).

There’s a constitution to follow.

the only part i disagree with is I think that they dems would nominate more than 2 new justices.

i also think they will go further.
i think they will add more district judges
I also think the will work to amend the constitution to get rid of lifetime judge appoinments.

In addition I dont think any justice appointed by trump will be accepted by a large enough part of the country as to make their term in office untenable. I really think a new justice will cause a complete shutdown of the country.

The “progressives” you mention which control the Democrat Party Leadership certainly do not support and defend our system of government as it is laid out in our Constitution. And, like you, I agree they will apply tyrannical methods to accomplish their goals which certainly are not in harmony with our intended system of government.

JWK

1 Like

Will make no difference what happens in my humble opinion.

Mail in ballots will ensure DEMs win it all in November. They will then quickly add how ever many SCOTUS justices necessary to ensure a DEM majority. If RGB is not replaced prior to the election, DEMS will only need to add 2 justices, bringing the total to 11 for a 6-5 DEM majority. If RGB is replaced (the likely option), the victory will be hollow and short lived. DEMs will simply add 4 justices, bringing the total to 13 for a 7-6 DEM majority.

As to the hypocrisy, there is none. Senate and WH were of different parties in 2016, thus the lame duck president didn’t get to nominate Scalia’s replacement. In 2020, the Senate and WH are of the same party and Trump isn’t a lame duck President…

yet!

But as I stated above, it is all irrelevant…

DEMs will win big and we will quickly have either 11 or 13 SCOTUS justices.

1 Like

Yes 3 times as a matter of fact, Stevens, O’Conner and RBG herself.

1 Like

He…he…he…I was gonna ask when exactly 24 hours, adm. here asked for, is up.

Since that is shoe-in might as well take it easy and stay home on Nov. 3.

Nothing Safiel laid out is prohibited by the Constitution.

Think you are going to be very surprised there.

1 Like

Not to worry. Hypocrisy never hurt the Democrats in the past.

1 Like

Unless of course they move at light speed to replace Ginsberg so a new justice is appointed in time for a Trump to bring his many frivolous legal actions aimed at throwing out enough Biden votes in swing states to allow a Trump SCOTUS to hand him the election.

:roll_eyes:

Same here, while we’re at it, do we really need two senators per state?

2 Likes