Will Mitch follow his own standards?

As we’ve all heard, Supreme Court Justice RBG has passed away. As the title asks, will Mitch McConnell follow his own standards and wait until after the election for a new justice to be appointed?

I believe he already stated that she will be replaced.

4 Likes

No chance. And not a single conservative will criticize his hypocrisy. They will applaud it.

1 Like

Has a supreme court justice ever been nominated and confirmed within 45 days? Doesn’t quite strike me yet as happening before the election.

1 Like

You are right but they actually have until January 1 if i am not mistaken

Can a supreme court justice be recalled by the Senate and/or House?

I believe you’re correct. That give em almost 3 and half months.

They can only be impeached after put in office. But that takes a 2/3 vote of the Senate to convict.

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s good to know.

Only impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors. If accepting a nomination then being confirmed is an impeachable offence . . well I don’t know what to say.

Hard to put anything past the mutating DNC lately, but I’m glad to know it requires more than a majority.

The new Senate comes in on January 3; that allows two months after the election for confirmation hearings and a vote.

No need to change any standards.

1 Like

I was wondering how long it was gonna take for the RIP’s to go away and go straight into politics, didn’t fail to deliver. We got a few hours of being united in the passing of a US Supreme Court judge, guess a few hours is better than nothing in today’s climate.

6 Likes

You’re absolutely right. Just know that if one is appointed before the election, or in the lame duck session, he/she will be an appointment of hypocrisy.

Can you detail the hypocrisy part?

I remember after Ted Kennedy died the Democrats would not hold a vote on the ACA until the newly elected Republican took his place and had a vote.
Oh, wait…no I don’t.

3 Likes

If they do not seat a Justice prior to November 3rd.

And Trump loses the General Election.

Then there should be no Justice seated PERIOD.

That being said.

Justice Amy Coney Barrett will be on the Supreme Court by November 2nd.

Susan Collins will vote no in a likely futile attempt to save her seat, but her vote will not matter.

The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.

1 Like

The constitution clearly lays out the process.

1 Like