Will anyone EVER volunteer to work in New York again?

Nearly every state taxes all pro sport team players. Example . . . Utah Jazz plays say 4 games a year in New York. For those 4 games, they determine what portion of their salary was earned in New York and taxes them on it. Utah does the same for New York players when they play here.

No.

I’m a consultant who travels heavily. I pay state taxes in multiple states per year, and in some ridiculous cases, individual cities. My worst year was 2014 - 7 states, 3 municipalities, and federal. Lansing, Michigan has a paper form.

■■■■ you, Lansing.

3 Likes

Not the full story. I spent 26 years in the US Army. The whole time, I paid taxes to the state of Michigan which is the state I entered from. I didnt have to pay Cal tax when I was assigned to Ft Ord or Va Tax when I was assigned to Virginia.

2 Likes

Apparently not: from the article . . . . I think you missed it:

I’d like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do,

Now he doesn’t say what kind of federal funding. If the feds write a check for what they would miss out on is it all good? If the feds write a check for double the amout? How about his 13 billion in funding he didn’t have before the crisis hit?

It comes down to – someone’s gotta pay me before I can be Mr. Nice guy.

They won’t have to pay state income taxes on income they paid taxes on in another state.

2 Likes

I think NY should have paid workers they recruited. And paid them at the local rates. (After all, they had to pay local prices while they were there too.)

But absent that, it would be ethical and generous not to tax them at all for the money they earned while BAILING OUT NEW YORK.

Clearly it’s not illegal for NY to tax that income. But, as we see for a lot of people, eschewing the right thing is justified by saying it’s legal.

This :arrow_up:

Athletes and entertainers are exempt from NY income tax if they are nonresidents.

1 Like

I think you’re supposed to finish that with, “Sorry you’re just learning this.”

1 Like

Why not?

Exactly. We see the way the mayor turned against Trump, after all he had done for them. There doesn’t seem to be an ethical bone in either de Balasio or Cuomo.

Remember Cuomo’s response to a reporter trying to get Cuomo to show a little empathy for people who are broke now, because they just got laid off? The man has a tin ear.

“You want to go to work? Go take a job as an essential worker,” he said. “Do it tomorrow. You can get a job as an essential worker. Now you can go to work.”

1 Like

Good to know. Maybe they should look into closing that loophole.

I know our government is run by wise guys and jack asses, however, the people of New York absolutely appreciate everyone that came to volunteer.

…but “the people” will pull the lever for the same jerks like Cuomo to remain in public office. Go figure.

Cuomo’s trying to use the lame tactic that he’s just forced to do this, presumably unless the federal government steps in to bail out his state. Yeah, the same state he screwed up with his ignorant, stupid policies, which resulted in so many deaths during the virus.

Because of his bad policy choices, NY state was already in a $6 billion deficit before the year 2020 even started.

In an effort to patch the hole, Cuomo is considering slashing payments to hospitals and nursing homes in the current budget and perhaps next year.

“Savings may include across the board reductions in rates paid to providers and health plans, reductions in discretionary payments, and other actions that can be executed administratively in the current fiscal year,” the report reads.

You guys see that? Cuomo was going to slash money to hospitals and nursing homes. Just imagine how much worse he would have made things with this virus, if it had waited until May, for it to hit the nation. He would have weakened his state’s ability to respond even further.

1 Like

I spent 20 years in the Navy, born and raised on upstate New York (we always point that out so people don’t assume we’re from the city). Joined in NY and it was my home state the entire time. Never had to pay a dime of income tax to NY. The rule was if you were active duty military you were exempt as long as you didn’t spend 30 or more days in the state during the calendar year.
.WW, PHS

I honestly can’t remember if I paid Ny State tax when i was in Army, was long time ago…lol.( early/mid 80’s)…What area from upstate are you from? I was raised just few minutes north of Albany.

The medicaid long term care programs caused the deficit spike. It transfers financial burden of long term care from the individual to the state. Of course, 1/5th of the state is at the age of retirement, and now that the program is available to them, they are enrolling. I understand why they passed this program, given that nursing home care is around 10-11k a month, and many individuals that need assistance do not require the 24/7 care.

1 Like

Of course they did. He cut income and corporate taxes and instituted a 2% cap on property tax increases.

I wouldn’t volunteer my time in New York if threatened with immediate death.