Why we need to be worried about America's "best and brightest"

Or not.

Yes, I agree. People should be responsible for their own decisions.

On the other hand, I am waiting for media to start hyperventilating about helmetless bicyclists filling hospital space. Riders need to wear state-approved helmets to reduce insurance and health-care costs.

We need to fine them, lock them up, and fire them if they fail to comply. Resistance is futile.

1 Like

If wearing a helmet prevented a highly contagious disease from spreading then I would be advocating wearing a helmet to prevent the spread of a highly contagious disease.

2 Likes

You may break your neck and die, but at least your casket can be open. :wink:

1 Like

The CDC chief agrees that the COVID vaccines cannot prevent transmission.

Prevent transmission from a vaccinated person who is infected.

A vaccinated person is far less likely to be infected when exposed to Covidā€¦ so while this soundbite is true, it does not tell the whole story.

A majority of the most successful people in this country either never went or were drop outs.

Bill Gates - drop.out.

Ellen Degeneres - never went

Ted Turner - kicked out

Steve Jobs - drop out

Michael Dell - drop out

Rachel Ray - never went

Paul Allen - drop out

John D. Rockefeller - never went

Dave Thomas - never went

Henry Ford - never went

There are plenty more.

Yes, that is the party line based on obsolete data. It was true with the older variants for people who were recently vaccinated. New studies show that after three months the vaccines are almost worthless at reducing risk of infection.

Studies show that obese people are more likely to get infected and spread the disease to others. Should they be fired until they lose weight?

One should know better than to link Zero Hedgeā€¦ literally no one takes them seriously so I will skip that one.

Let me look into Dr Eddy Betterman MDā€¦ now usually when someone puts both ā€œDr.ā€ and ā€œMDā€ in their name it is a sure sign that they are a quack but I will look and give him a listen.

Okayā€¦ I am backā€¦ the dude is a loon.

Like look at this one

It would seem that we would be seeing people dropping dead left and right from the vaccine.

Yet another grifter using fear and disinfo to sell you overpriced vitamins that you donā€™t need.

Here is an article from The Times about the same research:
Elderly and overweight are the real Covid super-spreaders | News | The Times (archive.fo)

Here is a link to the paper:
Exhaled aerosol increases with COVID-19 infection, age, and obesity | PNAS

Anymore?

The American Right has loathed elite US universities for at least 70 years or so.

1 Like

Thatā€™s about right. The drift into failure started in the late 60s.

There have been brief interludes of getting back to sanity, but the overall trend has been a decline

Started seeing a chiropractor this summer as i was having lots of back problems.

Feel great now! Did a world of good. Started off 3 times a week, after while cut it to 2 times a week, then once, then every other week, now it is every 3 weeks. :+1: :grinning:

2 Likes

The people who are likely to get sickest from the virus are the ones who would spread it the most?

I am shocked at those findings. They should get vaccinated to protect themselves.

Vaccination does not reduce viral load. The infected obese appear to be just as likely to become superspreaders regardless of whether they are vaccinated.

Of course vaccination reduces obvious symptoms, so the vaccinated obese are more likely be up and around if they are infected. Sounds like a Typhoid Mary scenario to me.

It is more like the universities loathe anyone to right of Mao and Lenin.

Failure to wear a mask implies you are an evil Republican. You deserve unending harassment until you are expelled or repent. That is especially true in California.

Thanks for posting this. It is good to re-emphasize the importance of getting vaccinated -

The message from Walker and her team at Oxford was clear: Vaccination remains the best way to protect against infection, and certainly against serious illness or hospitalization with COVID-19, including the Delta variant.

None of the coronavirus vaccines approved for use in the U.S. or U.K. thus far eliminate the risk of infection, but they all reduce that risk by between about 70% and 90% ā€” and theyā€™ve proven much more potent at preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

People can be ā€œbook smartā€ but lack common sense.

I know a lot of other pre-meds in my groups who are excellent students but they are struggling with the CARS (Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills) section on the MCAT. I think it would behoove teachers and profs to ask more critical analysis questions on their tests, to at least assure some people are getting better prepared for higher education.

There comes a point, I think, where, an instructor or academic institution sets academic standards so high, through a ā€œteach to the testā€ method, that students spend all of their time and energy trying to meet those standards, and donā€™t spend any time on any other type of preparation.

Rush Limbaugh, despite dropping out of college, was awarded an honorary doctorate in communication and media, IIRC.

Yes, vaccines have benefits for the vaccinated when they get COVID.

On the other hand, vaccinations are not risk free.

https://twitter.com/ke11ybender/status/1444099139977945088