Why so serious?

:rofl: Thank you.

Should there just be a blanket forum rule against Whataboutism?

No. Why should there be?

Wrong. Compare and contrast is one way that intelligent people assess… everything… behaviors, objects, processes, etc.

Furthermore, almost none of the claims of tu quo que logical fallacies are actually logical fallacies. The logical fallacy seeks to disprove that an act took place by presenting another instance of previous statements that had a contrary view of a similar act. In almost no case, is a reference to a past event intended to disprove that an act took place.

The way libs want debate to occur here is more like the game of checkers vs chess. Any move that is noticeable and forward is deemed unacceptable and off topic. And yet, intelligent debate is not always so simple.

Because that’s basically what the issue Conan has when boiled down to its rhetorical nature. He’s specifically complaining about posters who say “what about Trump” in his thread complaining about Biden. If I post about some Republican doing something extravagant and another poster responds “What about Pelosi” and posts that infamous ice cream video, is that also a derail?

Did you look at that thread @conan linked to?

Here it is again

What do you see there?

Unless it puts Trump in a negative light. Got it.

That is ridiculous.

I did look at it before.

I see a poster getting upset because someone did a 'what about trump" to show the hypocrisy in his OP and the poster doing the forum version of taking his ball and going home.
Perhaps if he had addressed and owned the obvious hypocrisy in his OP but said the point was to focus on Biden he would have had a better chance of keeping the topic on Biden. In other words de-fang the obvious counter argument.

I agree!

Look at all the posts by someone other than the OP. There were others deleted.

That is pile on trolling.

And it went on until he asked for it to be closed. That’s not a discussion. That is intent. That is us letting it go to see what happens.

No. You collectively will not be allowed to do that. Poking fun at a typo is allowed. To a point. As soon as the pile on starts, it’s over.

And there won’t be any debating of moderation in the thread. None. No arguing, no whining, no rationalizations, no debating it, no sarcasm. Either stop or it becomes moderation right then and there.

2 Likes

My opinion on that has nothing to do with Trump. We could be debating any of a hundred issues which have some type of logical connection with a different issue. The issues may be different but the standards by which they have been or are being resolved or asessed may have similarity. Thus they may be “on topic” for those reasons. To compare and contrast is by definition the identification of similarities and differences between like things… or unlike things. So long as the poster shows the relevance, this nonsense about “Whataboutism” and the poorly misunderstood tu quoque logical fallacy is nothing but excuses to disregard a good debate point that one cannot otherwise refute.

How was Conan’s thread not a victim of whataboutism?

I don’t know what thread that is.

Answer your own question.

Was any attempt at all made to discuss the points in the OP? No.

Did the 2nd poster on the typo make any attempt to discuss the topic?

It’s linked above, once by @conan and once by me.

Is that what you want to be allowed to do? Be allowed done to you?

Bringing up Trump was discussing the points in the OP. Are all thread response suppose to exist in a vacuum where we pretend we know nothing about which politicians the poster supports?

He was participating in the discussion.