Why should someone start believing in God?

We never make a decision to start.

God is written on the heart of every person. She/he seeks understanding of God, and humans have been doing this since before the advent of recorded history.

What someone starts doing is choosing to disbelieve in God.

1 Like

The spiritual realm deals in revelation not “evidence”. But I get your point. What if a revelation from God revealed Islam had the greater truths and practices most closely to His own? I’ve always said that for all of us believers, whichever one of us has it the most right, that puts him perhaps a single step closer to God. The rest of us can easily bridge that gap when that time comes.

Except that god is not principles. And the god that actually exists is nothing like she is portrayed in the bible.

No they don’t.

I agree and would also add that believers often see life’s blessings much more clearly.

Such as?

Are you saying religion is interfering with your business or that morality is interfering with your business? I do not see churches enacting laws.

You’re not familiar with laws restricting certain business on Sundays or morality based laws restricting interpersonal relationships?

Must be convenient to say that revelation of God is beyond evidence and any contradictory revelation is just the same God as you just a step behind. Wow, in that case, I guess no matter what anyone says you’re covered.

There is a lot of wisdom in this. I am of the mind that the reason so many decide on disbelief is because of their literal reading of Bible stories.

What doesn’t exist among atheists who point to the Bible for their disbelief, is knowledge of ancient language, cultures, and histories. They are completely ignorant in this regard and would rather continue in their non-belief of God than hear what mankind was conveying to future generations. What doesn’t exist is the atheist creation of God based on their own creation of the Bible when read through the lens of modern English in a 21st century culture.

Or they use literal reading of Bible stories to justify their choice to disbelieve. If they were in some other culture they would be using the Torah or the Koran or whatever the common culture’s religious writings were instead.

Talk with your politicians, then. Where I live there are no such restrictions. Where do you live that local churches enact local laws?

Stop being deliberately obtuse if you want to continue.

2 Likes

Quite the contrary. You know very well that churches do not enact laws. You have seen in this very thread people agree that no one needs God to be a moral person. Your local laws apparently close certain businesses on Sunday. The only business that closes where I live is Chick-Filet and they do that by choice, not because of any law.

YOU know that churches don’t make laws to close businesses, that that is done by politicians. If you don’t like the laws in your area, you don’t go to church to have the law changed, you go to city hall, county government, whatever. You don’t write to the clergy, you write to your elected officials. So don’t tell me that it is religion, not politicians, that are in your business. As everyone knows, politicians can be talked into anything and lose every inch of spine when faced with a good sob story. Good luck.

We both know churches don’t enact laws as we also both know that’s a strawman.

1 Like

You introduced the strawman by claiming religion got into your business through laws. I simply pointed out that no religion enacts laws. We have this thing called separation of Church and State. Citizens can push for certain laws…All citizens.

I brought up laws based on religious tenets. You obviously have no desire to discuss that. Have a lovely day.

1 Like

If a law can be made based on a religious tenet, then it can be abolished as well. Such laws have no special protection. Instead of whining, act.

And you would again be wrong. Unless of course you’re suggesting Jesus didnt really walk on water, rise from the dead, or perform miracles. Or is it only certain stories you get to cherry pick to take literally? Many atheists dont believe for many reasons beyond whether or not the bible is taken literally. You seem to look at EVERYTHING through the lens of what you believe and what you believe only. Theres more to atheism than what you routinely claim.

:roll_eyes: