Why should someone start believing in God?

Nobody cares

Your presuppositions don’t require God.

How do you know that’s God’s will?

You can use your epistemology to assert anything. Hey theres np evidence that you arent just a figment of my imagination and that I’m in the matrix and sensory experience of 4 dimensions is just an illusion of an eternal Self subconsciously projecting permutations of being into an evolutionary exapansion of ultimate consciousness. You cant disprove it!!

People are going to live their lives how they choose to. You’re looking for a one size fits all to rationalize belief in God

Because theres no evidence that this God exists. Just like I can believe that things in the sky cause lightening and thunder without believing in Zeus

I don’t believe in god and I have no problem with other people being religious and believing in a god or gods. The only problem I have is when some people try to force their beliefs on me by codifying the tenets of their beliefs into law.

Couldn’t agree more, Especially since the usual definition of “perfect” is free from flaws/mistakes. I abide by the philosophy that we are all “perfect” given are nature and nurture. This does not mean that we can’t transform to more enlightened beings.

1 Like

Ya I’m all for being better but to try to be “perfect” is a narcissistic endeavor of self perception. You cant be perfect. No one is and no one ever will be.

People who follow scripture note that God set forth Ten Commandments, one of which is not to steal. Those who believe in the New Testament note that Jesus reiterated these Commandments. Those who read further into the New Testament (Paul’s letters) note that God has written His law on the hearts of men. Therefore, we have the idea that not stealing is a common ideal of mankind. People who believe in God believe the idea originated with Him.

Those who do not believe in God, may feel the command not to steal evolved due to of societal and evolutionary benefits to mankind.

In other words, bible says so

Ah. You mean like liberals. Or citizens. Or lobbyists.

Oh you know what he was saying. He was talking about codifying religious beliefs.

Not at all. I’m simply saying I’ll stay out of your religious business as long as your religion stays out of my business. What you mentioned are secular reasons for laws, which is a whole different topic.

1 Like

And the reason you can’t do both is?

Man wrote the bible.

Correct. He wrote of his encounters with God.

1 Like

You dont know they encountered “God” anymore than you know Egyptians encountered Gods

Reading the Bible through non-stop now from scratch for the fifth time, I believe, I can comment on that much anyway.

Even folks that have been raised in church who haven’t read the Good Book are missing way more than they know.

To understand where the New Testament is coming from one has to understand where the Old Testament was coming from. There is simply no way around it and Cliff Notes are worthless. Gotta read it through from start to finish.

Most anyone who hasn’t read the Bible compleat will be surprised to learn that it is one big long interconnected story. Take away the numbering and you have a really good novel…not a collection of short stories.

The Bible is the smartest book ever written. It covers everything, by and by. Every situation. Problems and solutions.

What’s more, the merest student will quickly learn that it is timeless. What went on then is strictly applicable to what goes on today. The Bible is the classic that has never been equaled.

After reading the Good Book it’s hard to come away without at least asking “what if?”

No wonder well read Christians so oft commit the sin of sneering at those know-it-alls who think they are smarter than the Book…or think they don’t need it or can’t profit by the reading.

The way I read the Bible may work for you as well. So happens I have a Kindle with an app called The Bible on it:

The app also works with any good smart phone. For the best read through choose the NIV version. The narrator is GREAT. Let him talk while you follow along. Like any really super good book you’ll find that it’s hard to put down once you get into it.

Plenty of love in the Bible, also lust, death, carnage, crime and redemption. Lots of mystery too…most of which get solved.

Not saying it is possible to exactly agree with everything written…but only by reading from front to back will you get the BIG theme. And that “theme” is what has sustained man for thousands of years.

EVERYTHING is in that book. No wonder it’s still a best seller.

2 Likes

My favorite observation comes from teachers of the Jewish faith: The Bible is to be studied not read. Sounds like you have done quite a bit of studying!