Why should someone start believing in God?

Which is evil.

I don’t understand the response, so my question is either, “What?” or “Why?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear ya. I’ve been debating these questions for a long time and have heard plenty of people say that without God there can be no morality. Some have even said that if God were somehow proven to not exist there would be no reason from them not to rape and pillage and run wild in their selfish interests. I want those people to maintain their belief in God.

A commandment to put god before friends, family, or loved ones is evil.

Agreed. Can still have hat ideal. No God is necessary.

Okay, then a little redirect. I believe in God, but I also understand why others do not or cannot hold this belief. Going with the latter, of people who hold no belief in God, might they not hold belief in the same ideals, without the ideals being personified? For example, would they teach, “Hold love and perfection as the highest of ideals–put nothing else before these. Love yourself, and love your fellowman exactly as you love yourself.”

In other words, did mankind come up with these directives, and then personify them into a deity? Or, if left alone, would people come up with a different set of philosophy(s) that have little to do with love/perfection? Such philosophies might include a number of things, correct? Competition, a more relaxing day, focus on _____, etc.

1 Like

Interesting thought. How do you figure? For example, if a person puts a loved one before all else, and that loved one leaves, what next?

Of course. Because I can decide to be who i want to be

Are the ideals necessary?

Yes. Just like we have historically personified natural processes into deities

That’s up to the individual to decide and ultimately the societal institutions to enforce

Its coercion.

It seems you are trying to remove the largest hindrance that someone such as myself in believing in any deities. I was a Christian for 20 years based solely on strong faith, and no evidence. When I no longer felt I needed faith in a god, I was left with no evidence.

So to believe in a god requires just that: belief, and from there, potentially faith.

Or, it is sound advice. For example, suppose one puts their entire life into something they love to do–music, sports, art. Then a slight injury occurs that prevents them from continuing in that profession. Wouldn’t that person be devastated? Likewise, don’t we feel devastated when we lose a loved one?

For people who believe we came from God and will return to Him, our primary focus should be God. This does not mean we forsake others for God. For example, say our intent is to put God first, but right before our prayer or worship time, a friend calls who needs immediate help. The right thing to do is to help the friend, because that is God’s intent for us, to love and help each other. That is the greatest form of prayer and worship of God. Putting God first is putting His will first.

Why did you feel you needed evidence when you no longer needed faith?

Why would you believe something you have no faith in and no evidence for?

What else is there?

What did you do with faith?
What would you do with evidence?

In other words, just because someone possesses a hammer doesn’t mean s/he is building anything with it. Isn’t the same true of faith and evidence?

What are you talking about? You always dance around direct questions with strange analogies. What is there other than faith and evidence as a reason to believe in God. We arent talking about hammers lol

I love and respect others without the need of a supreme being. Each person must make that decision for themselves. God be he Buddah, Krishna, Allah, or a trinity is not the reason for me to act the way i do.