Why should someone start believing in God?

I can’t prove abiogenesis. It’s a hypothesis at this point. But we are getting more evidence towards showing it is possible.

Do you hold to a Platonic form of dualism? And to be honest I’m not very familiar with that. Also I’m not familiar with Atheistic philosophies that don’t adhere to naturalism?

I’m not sure exactly how I’d classify myself but maybe look into David Chalmer’s hard problem of consciousness…I think I’m in line with his views

Is morality a subjective phenomenon in the sense of the reasoning in which it is derived, and the assertion of its “being”? Similarly, could “God” be a subjective experience in the same sense that joy or anger is? Namely, God as an abstract realization of one’s own limits of understanding and capability?

It’s all still highly speculative and would be impossible to prove in any true empirical sense.

Interesting, my initial assessment of your line of thought was that of atheistic naturalism. Although I’m not familiar with David Chalmer? Most of my research involved studying the thinking of philosophers such as Kant, Descartes, Kirkegaard, etc., that era.

Not even close to what I am speaking of.

It’s closer to what you’re saying than you think it is.

It’s a very common phenomenon.

I took some upper level philosophy of mind and existentialism courses in undergrad but havent retained much being graduated for 8 years haha. Although what I did read of Kirkegarrd’s “aesthetics” I remember really enjoying but dont remember much else. Of course, first philosophy of mind is a classic.

Chalmers pretty much argues that the “qualia” of experience, namely the way your perceptions appear to yourself are distinct properties of reality that cannot be reduced to the physical. Sort of like, you can map all the neurons in someone’s brain while they are dreaming of being in a park, you can recreate the experience in some other form, but you cant actually perceive their experience or reduce it beyond subjective awareness, in terms of its totality.

I am sort of of the belief that consciousness and matter are a yin yang. Neither created the other. I’ve always felt that consciousness is a field, similar to any other field where fluctuations create particles. Our brains somehow “tap” into this field, in terms of general conscious experience of self. I could get a bit crazier and say that consciousness is an eternal property of the universe which fuels the eternal “aether” of spacetime which constantly produces random particles/anti particles. Of course this is pure speculation

I did google him a few minutes ago and read a few things regarding his thoughts. It would appear that at minimum certain aspects of his thinking are similar to mine. Beyond the philosophers I mentioned I also spent a considerable amount of time studying Christian thinkers like C.S. Lewis and Ravi Zacharias, along with reading and listening to debates on the existence of God. During that time I rejected Atheistic Naturalism (for various reasons) and now simply hold the view that a Theistic (don’t make any claims towards a specific one though) worldview makes the most sense.

1 Like

I reject atheistic naturalism but I cant see any reason to believe that there is some singular consciousness that is aware of everything, intervenes, and has human like qualities of thoughts and feelings, and “preceded” the universe as it is today.

I wouldn’t be too sure of that.

I fully appreciate what you are saying and would not claim my views empirically superior.

Dude, I am merely pointing out the fact that people will remember the good outcomes and attribute it to God’s grace. They are far less likely to attribute God’s hand for their bad fortune.

No football player blames God when he loses the Super Bowl.

If you want to get hung up on the nuance of “grace”, feel free. Same concept applies.

I’m definitely interested in the philosophical side of why you are a theist. I’m not too kind on claims of “I experienced God” or “this book says so”. I prefer the rigor of language which I think is much of what philosophy attempts to do - develope a cohesive & defensible language and framework for realities that are hard to process, rather than vague allegory or assertions of experience.

I am absolutely certain that no one will ever be able to empirically prove abiogenesis. Heck as far as I know no one has even remotely come close to creating a prokaryotic like cell in the lab.

Mx. weather. Any average person, even an apolitical guy stopping by this place could tell after reading a couple of threads that something is seriously wrong with the bulk of this crowd.

After what reads like blind men trying to describe an elephant I must conclude that the one thing I KNEW but had not considered is that they are lost and confused when it comes to the simplest tenants of religion. It’s foreign to them and they all but boast about their complete ignorance.

And so it is in politics with them.

Maybe. Looking back a century to today saw incredible advances in technology. The next hundred years…?

I can personally answer this by attributing the answer to my life experience. Being raised in an abusive environment and put into a negative environment in foster homes for 5 years until I was 7, then being moved back into the abusive environment where we (my brothers and sisters) were molested for another 7 years until I ran away. I can tell you that the only way I was able to navigate and overcome such a life was being touched by the Love of Jesus. Now I have not only forgiven my father but pray for his salvation knowing he needs to face up and surrender his malicious and evil heart to Jesus. I know this because I surrendered my heart and Jesus taught me how to overcome and gave me healing in such a manner I have been able to raise three wonderful children and my daughters are married with wonderful children.
My oldest brother was hurt the worst out of us all and turned against God because we were raised in a strict religion. I could understand why he equated the god he hated to the god that was foisted upon him while being severely abused but deep down he knew the real God who created us did love us. He committed suicide when he was 30 and ten years later I was taken to heaven where I saw him living in peace, and learning.
I know God because I accepted the touch of his wonderful Love at a young age and learned the power of forgiveness. However, I would not let my biological dad be alone with my children, because forgiveness isn’t stupidity but it is Love, and true wisdom is found in knowing my maker.
My brother couldn’t understand why a Loving God would allow so much pain in suffering, but Jesus taught me that it is the works of the flesh like selfishness, lust, hate, and envy which are the seeds which bear the fruit of suffering.
I know our maker has touched us all but gives us the free will choice of what we want to follow.
Love, or Hate
Life, or Death
Good, or Evil
Jesus paid for our sins that we could be granted life.