Why Politics has made us so cynical? Are doomed to a lifetime of cynicism?

Nice thoughts Kon man. Thanks for sharing them.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Smyrna same to you and everyone. Happy Thanksgiving.

I posted this in another thread. But the reason I think politics has become so cynical is that we allow the federal government to do much more than it’s supposed to.

We have two opposing ideologies pitted against each other. And rather than handle things at the state level and have states that are different from one another.

Instead both sides try to use the federal government to try and impose their ideas on the other side as well. Things that could and should be handles on a state by state basis are fought over federally.

This pits both sides against each other when it should be the federal govt doing very few things, and states handling all the rest of the business.

3 Likes

That may be true in the sense of politicians. I couldn’t even make a small no sides point yesterday. My sister and my wife both ssshhh’d me.

I think someone previously talked about mistrust or distrust in government. I’m worried it’s gone further…in that an environment of distrust in each of us exists. The average citizen, the average family member doesn’t trust the other.

That’s where a great deal of the incivility comes from. My point of view is not to be trusted…therefore another person begins to fear my beliefs. So to combat that…that person tries to rip me to shreds. Incivility toward people we don’t even know.

1 Like

I dunno man, when someone intentionally seeks out a group and then spends decades contriving reasons to call them all manner of vile names, I don’t think it’s cynical to suspect that their motives are less than friendly.

Sure…when talking politicians…but that doesn’t explain all of us…the average Americans here in 'Merica.

Lets see if we can get Conan in on all of this goodness.

1 Like