Why is the NFL tanking

Bwhahahaha!!! A poll versus real numbers the business actually operates by. Failed thread.

The popularity of the NFL is off 10 percent since 2012. They got a small portion of that back after most of the anthem crap ceased. But, they still have big problems.

The link doesn’t work for me. But like I said, in order for the NFL to take any action it will have to translate to a significant loss of revenue.

Do you usually make threads on subjects that are “not worth your time”?

Anyway, “T.V. ratings” are a poor metric in 2018 as we are in the middle of a transition to other platforms.

I think the drum beat of CTE and declining participation at lower levels has had the biggest impact of popularity.

Based on what?

Where do you come up with this nonsense? The NFL is making more money than ever.

“According to financial information released by the Packers on Monday, the NFL distributed more than $8 billion in national revenue that was split among the league’s 32 teams. The $8.1 billion in revenue meant that each team received roughly $255 million from the league. According to Bloomberg, the $8.1 billion was a revenue-record for the NFL and a total that was slightly up from the league’s revenue total of $7.8 billion in 2016.”

Instead of just posting the conclusions you hope to be true, try some research next time.

So…

Ratings and attendence are up but someone who doesnt care enough to research the issue but cares enough to start a thread about it starts claiming the opposite of reality…

2 Likes

I think one thing you’ll find in the aftermath of this season is that viewership and revenues may be up. Now, like the OP, I have no actual data to support this. But I do know that I’ve been enjoying this season more than the last few. I think one reason is that there are very good very new stories. Kansas City. The Rams. The Chargers. And New England not being a runaway. Dynasties are cute. But they suck for long term interest. And as a Bills fan I can only say ■■■■ New England. ■■■■ Tom Brady. and ■■■■ Belichick the cheating ■■■■■■■■ But since Buffalo has yet again decided to pin its hopes and dreams on a large squad of zero-experience players we sit near the bottom of the heap. Thus I look for good stories in other markets. And I have just been really enjoying the Chiefs this year.

The salary cap has increased every year since 2012 (actually, every year since its inception), so, failed thread is still a failure. Are you the least bit interested in opererating in reality?

Sean said it was back in September, so it must be true

Wow down 20 thousand. We had a hurricane that cancelled a weekend for several teams, that had to be then replayed. Had a game supposed to be played in Mexici City shifted back to the states, and I am sure it wasn’t as well attended as it could have been. I would not call it a down season by any stretch.

1 Like

The NFL ratings are up this season. As usual Altair lives in his own little fake news world.

In 2017 37 of the top 50 highest broadcasts of the whole year were NFL games.

I know…i posted stats when Sean was ranting about it in week 3 or something like that.

Here are some actual articles with ratings about how they are up for Altair and others who live in a fake news right wing bubble:

Here is a week by week, game by game analysis. Green means up, red means down. More green than red. Some might get worked up over some of the red but matchups matter a lot. A game this year between bottom feeder teams will obviously draw lower ratings relative to a game the same day / time last year with a better matchup and thats what most of the red is going to be. Overall though there is more green for the season as a whole its up.

I stopped watching because it’s boring.

Sure the NFL was actually entertaining this year and viewership seems to be up. How very sad some people seem to think the NFL was gonna fold in a couple of years because a couple of uppity black folks went down on a knee. Fools.

Whats helped the NFL more than anything is star power especially in its QB’s and on offense.

Patrick Mahomes, Jared Goff, and a bunch innovative offensive coaches have set the league on fire offensively which is making the games entertaining again. Purists probably cringed the Rams / Chiefs game (over 105 pts combined) a few weeks ago but fans loved it.

2 Likes