Why is Cooley Law School still open?

You should listen to Gladwell’s podcast on legal education - what the LSAT tests for versus what is actually important as an attorney.

I did well enough on my LSAT to overcome my dodgy GPA when it came to getting into pretty good schools (bottom of Tier 1, top of Tier 2), but business schools really loved my GMAT (and didn’t care about my grades); I went that route instead.

As a current law school student, I would say that law school is only worth the cost if you attend a top-50 school, or perhaps even only a top-25 school.

The most important statistics are percent employed in JD-requring positions after graduation and average salary post graduation.

I would also mention that small minority of students who are innately gifted to be litigators in Big Law. The ones that can pull down a major federal judge clerk ship and then sign on to a Big Law firm for a large bonus.

Those would be the ones not only going to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, etc, but graduating in the top quarter of the class.

I have a number of classmates who will walk across the stage at graduation directly into $200,000/yr Associate positions at BigLaw firms.

Personally, I’m looking for Gov work. If I do well in this competition, I could possibly start at G-13. I’m not up for the BigLaw lifestyle.

I felt kind of dumb canceling my legal insurance plan this year. It actually was helpful buying a house, as MA requires an attorney be part of the transaction. The insurance paid him a negotiated fee & we paid $0.

When I asked about estate law, it does cover that but does not cover any notary expenses. Felt kind of dumb canceling it, but I remember reading somewhere it could be done on Legal Zoom for around $70.

Notary expenses are a couple of bucks.

In NY at least, notaries are statutorily prohibited from charging more than $2 per signature.

That helps to know, thank you.

I may enroll again in the Legal Plan when it’s time to sign up as it not only covers estate & real estate, but traffic court and family law.

Notary costs are peanuts. Theoretically, you can create your own will. Depends on
how complex it is.

Ever think of JAG?

Can be a role of the dice. My daughters first assignment was an arm-pit. No she’s stationed in Germany and loving it. She’s been there about six months and has traveled to London, Ireland, Copenhagen, Italy, Paris and a couple of places I forget. LOL

She started with ROTC in college and so went active duty with a couple of years seniority for pay purposes.
.WW

I have considered it, but not seriously.

I’m already too old for the Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard, and I don’t really think I’m a military sort of guy.

My concentration in law school (government procurement/contracts) is something that would give me a leg up in that direction, but I think I prefer to remain a civilian.

Also, I enjoy inhaling the results of the combustion of plant matter, and as I understand it, the military frowns on that.

LOL

Roger that.
.WW

1 Like