Why is an uncreated creator necessary?

Time is motion. Can’t have a day without a revolution of the earth. My limited understanding tells me that gravity warps time. Time and distance are very closely intertwined.

Whoah! Slow your roll. A “day” is just an arbitrary descriptor of a unit of time. Just like a “foot” is an arbitrary descriptor of a unit of distance.

The earth could stop rotating today and our measures of time could keep using “days” as a measure of time. But time marches on despite how we unitize it.

Yes, I think you are right that the force of gravity warps time.

Yeah, but if the earth stopped rotating, life on earth would cease to exist, thus the observers of time would observe no more. Does the tree make a sound when it falls and no one is around to hear it?

Sorry for the philosophical tangent.

This is kind of why I view consciousness as a fundamental property of reality, that is ontologically irreducible to the physical

Then are we all in the matrix? :slight_smile:

Or, is the matrix in us? BOOM

1 Like

In the end there will always be questions humans will never have answers to.

1 Like

Yes. Sound is composed of waves. The tree falling in the forest will make sound waves.

For one thing mathematics and physics prove that the universe must have had a beginning. Even if you allow for multiverse where our universe came from an earlier universe, the multiverse must have an ultimate beginning.

The only reasonable explanation is that something beyond space and time existed as the ultimate source for the universe. That implies an uncreated creator that is supernatural (= above or outside of nature).

1 Like

Good article, thanks. We’ll see if the notion withstands peer review.

This isn’t in the article and is merely your opinion. I am unconvinced that this is the “only reasonable explanation”. Essentially you are proposing the cosmological argument of reality needing something, an uncaused cause, to create it.

There is no evidence that this is required.

I’d further add what does “beyond space and time” mean? Can something exist for zero seconds?

1 Like

It’s nothing. Nothing is beyond space and time.

It’s everything. Everything is beyond space and time.

Why must it be “supernatural”? If the singularity happened, it existed in a state where spacetime had not yet existed (if I understand the theory correctly). And of course, the answer begs the question, what are the properties of this super natural creator and why doesnt that creator need a creator?

Everything and nothing and some things

How does this lead you thus?

Exactly. Now you understand.

1 Like

Physicists normally avoid references to a divinity. Instead they say that the “laws of physics” existed outside of space and time. In that respect the laws are eternal and “supernatural”.

My observation is that appealing to the “laws of physics” is simply taking an impersonal view of the creator.

Creation implies an uncreated creator. Belief in a personal Creator requires faith.

Which makes sense though, given that their jobs are to study physics / natural world.

This is a good distinction. I believe there is some sort of eternal “non-created thing” that gives rise to space time / fuels it. But i dont believe it is a personal entity with thoughts and feelings about humanity, me or others.

Actually, they say they have no way of knowing if the laws of physics apply or not.

No, the laws of physics is just humans describing nature. They aren’t anything.

Creation does not imply a creator. You infer that. Others don’t.