Why have the Jewish people been the most persecuted segment of humanity in world history?

What about blacks and Romani? Don’t forget the Armenians, either. We are all right behind the Jews on the persecution chart.

Actually, the message of much of the Judges and the Prophets, picking up on things Moses himself told those in his day, is that troubles arise for Israel because Israel has repeatedly turned its back on the Lord.

Are you unfamiliar with the Hebrew Scriptures?

At one point a second gathering back to the land is mentioned long before there had been one exile. Then there’s the prophesy of the valley of dry bones.

But in more modern times I would say, simply on a worldly level, that there has been persecution of the Jewish people for the simple reason that yours cannot the the chosen people if there’s this other bunch with that claim from way back.

This takes a diversity of forms from the overt as with Nazis and their “Aryans”, the delegitimize and replace form as with the looney idea that all Africans are somehow the real Israel that may yet bloom deadly flowers, the replacement of the Law with an all encompassing ideology like Marxism, and so forth. Even many Victorian England flirted with a form of this guff.

Then there is also the lamentable state of set theory in the minds of too many folks these days, who speak of “the Jews” on the back of a few infamous individuals as if there were no difference possible.

When you assign suffering to people on account of an entity, an abstraction of persons that they are associated with, the injuries of the past become evergreen.

Job 1:6-12?

Jews were persecuted for different reasons, in the modern times it has less to do about religion and more to do with people who believe Jews control everything (Power) from banks, politics, even Hollywood. A lot of Jews were worried after Bernie Madoff was arrested during the financial crisis that they would be targeted because he fit the stereotypical view jew of a jew from the view of and anti-semite.

Whenever I encounter difficult moral/ethical questions in history, rather than trying to understand through the most nuanced and objective perspective possible I just say the Devil did it and call it a day. :wink:

3 Likes

The entity discussed in Job is not the adversary of God. He is a servant of God, who works under God’s orders.

Actually, that entity is presented as someone who shows up when the rest assemble, as someone still able to pop his head in.

It presents him as an accuser of men.

Now if you want to wrap your noggin around an idea I will suggest that the book of Job in fact likely hints at where Satan was before this meeting and why he was not just there but ready and eager to accuse Job. If you pay attention to Job describing his lot in life you will find that just before all these troubles started he recounts his previous glory and that in a moment of being pleased with his life he gives what I would call a statement of pride, recalling himself saying in part:

“I thought,‘I will die in my own house, my days as numerous as grains of sand, my roots will reach to the water, and the dew will lie all night on my branches, my glory will not fade, my bow will be ever new in my hand.’”

I will submit that tempting Job was where Satan had been. The Lord brings up Job, not Satan, but here I would argue that it is preemptive for He knows where the rogue has been, and all of what will happen.

No, Satan isn’t a servant at that point. Not any more.

This is a viewpoint that can only come from looking at the Book of Job through Christian eyes.

Sorry, I don’t have a bunch of Rabbis forcing their butts into Moses’ seat to keep me from seeing what may be there. Kinds like Isaiah 53.

You see what you want to see.

You’re not understanding my point. If you want to see the Christian Satan in the Book of Job, that’s fine - and you’re not alone, many other Christians agree with you.

But Jews don’t. And nothing you can argue will change that.

I think you misunderstand my second point. Perhaps I didn’t explain it well.

I wasn’t saying that Jews - as a whole - hold themselves apart because they believe they are “better” than other. They do it because they are ordered to do it in their Bible.

Is it not a fact that in the Bible, Jews were ordered not to intermix with other peoples? All their rules for eating, what to wear, etc. etc. were to remind them they were God’s chosen and more was expected of them than of others.

As for your interpretation of my point, I do seriously doubt that there are no Jews who don’t think, “I’m one of God’s chosen people, so I’m better than everyone else.” Maybe not all, but there’s got to be some.

That’s just a common human trait. If you’re told that you’re a “chosen one” - aren’t you going to think a bit higher of yourself?

Why? Because they have survived as a clearly identifiable people longer than most other oppressed groups.

This longevity gives them the opportunity oppressed for a while, unoppressed for a bit, opressed again,… and rack up the high score for oppression.
Longevity…

No segment of humanity was exterminated on an industrial scale like the Jews were by the Nazis.

Moving on, to this day, no nation on Earth is as persecuted by the UN as Israel. Iran continually calls for their annihilation and the world is mute. Jesus was correct, this world belongs to Satan and his billions of followers.

Because some Christians are “Christian” in name only.

Some men have allowed themselves to be tempted and to follow through with hate and persecution. It was their choice to do so.

Don’t worry. It’s all according to God’s plan.

God allows us to do as we please. He didn’t “plan” for us to do anything.

No. The Bible at no point says that Jews should not intermix with others.

Yes, Jews beleive they they are chosen by God to be his people. (They also think Christians and Mulsims, who came after, decend from the same people and are also part of the choosen people)
No, they were never ordered not to intermix. In fact just the opposite. Jews were always told to respect people of other nations and to mix with them.
I’m very curious where In the old testament do you believe it says Jews should not mix with non Jews?

In my 12 years of Hebrew school and speaking to family members of all Jewish dominations that has never once been the message, in fact it’s the opposite message!.
(Marriage is different, but that’s not mix)

Now, can I speak for EVERY Jew? Of course not. But just because some christian doesn’t beleive in equal among races doesn’t mean christians beleive in superior races.
Jews are taught that they are NOT better then anyone.

I’ve seen some jokes by Jews wherein they jokingly wished that they hadn’t been his “chosen people”. You know, with friends like God who needs…