Why don't they just raise taxes on the rich? Topic - LA teachers strike

According to who? Forbes has California ranked #37. The ten bottom-ranked states are mostly predictable: Arkansas; West Virginia; Oregon; Alabama; Mississippi; Nevada; Arizona; Alaska; Louisiana; New Mexico.

Schools receive state funding as well. In NJ for example we have what is referred to as Abbott districts which typically receive most of the state funding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/10mainnj.html

I have to assume that would be the same in CA as well.

No. The focus of the discussion pertains to higher taxes on the wealthy, which is a targeted tax. Do you believe that someone making over few millions dollars can’t afford that?

lol - So when dems say they want to raise taxes on the wealthy it’s capricious, but when you do it, it’s a strategic targeted move for a purpose. :rofl: I love it.

Did you read my other posts? Nowhere in ANY post did I say that pertaining to higher marginal tax rates on the very wealthy. I’m personally not opposed to that, I would consider myself center-left regarding that.

I bet LA has one of the most expensive school systems in the world… Probably 20K per student spent for mediocre results…

And you would lose that bet. Par for the course

In 2014, California spent $8,694 per pupil and ranked 46th, while New York, spent $18,191 per pupil and ranked third in the nation. First in the nation was Vermont at $19,654.

More recent figures come from the nonpartisan California Budget & Policy Center in a report released in January on 2015-16 spending, but even that report gives two different rankings.

In terms of state spending per K-12 student, the report gives California a rank of 41st. That’s $10,291 per student, adjusting for cost-of-living.

Did you miss the word “LA”?

Why am I not surprised that’s you’re completely unaware of how it works. The state set the cost and not individual cities.

Cost per student by country.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

Top 40 countries for education

If money alone made things better the lists would be identical…

What does any of that have to do with the fact that your assertion wasn’t even remotely true? You said you bet that LA ha the most expensive school systems in the world when the truth is that it’s one of the lowest in the entire country.

Los Angeles schools spend $12,807 per student (The US average is $12,383)

Now compare that to world cost per student I posted…lol! Not the most expensive but near it…

Your source isn’t the most reliable. This is also on that page

Los Angeles has 0 schools: 0 public schools and 0 private schools

i’m gonna let a poster here prove that your post is false.

i hope you believe this poster.

1 Like

Also. It doesn’t change the fact that your assertion is still wrong

So, 12,800$ times 40 kids per classroom is about 500K…

It’s almost entertaining how nobody proves that poster wrong more often than they do themselves

1 Like

That’s why I put “probably”… Did you get educated in LA?

you also typed “I bet…”

Yet you weren’t even remotely close about something you were so sure of that you were willing to bet on it

1 Like