Why does TV suck so much these days?

Excellent article on the subject.

I’m still finding plenty of shows I like on tv. NCIS has 3 good franchises now that I love to watch. CBS All Access is in the process of releasing season 3 of Star Trek Discovery. It’s actually pretty decent. I didn’t really care for season one, but seasons 2 and 3 are decent. I also stream Blue Bloods on CBS All Access regularly.

I do wish they would hurry up and release season 3 of Orville.

2 Likes

I finally watched “The Orville”… was much better than I thought it would be. It was in a lot of ways actual Star Trek.

“The Good Place” I would put up there with one of the best shows about moral philosophy ever made.

2 Likes

There is great TV out there. Ted Lasso is joy. Truly funny and kind.

1 Like

The producers knew kids weren’t getting the same amount of parental attention, now that stay at home moms were starting to disappear, so they decided to use it to manipulate worse than before.

And there are a billions of channels. in earlier days of TV you had far fewer shows and people would watch Leave it to Beaver. Family oriented. A lot Tv had old westerns and alot of them were from Republic Pictures. The studio closed and became CBS. Westerns were still a specialty.

1 Like

the moral of the story is today’s stories don’t have morals…

1 Like

Heinlein not hold up!? What could be better than a Star Beast that eats a Buick?

1 Like

I still have love for some Heineken.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a hell of a book, author polemics aside.

1 Like

Who watches these shows. The masses.

The entertainment industry caters to the masses.

How do you think the apprentice became popular and made trump a mint.

Catering to the masses.

Allan

I have a soft spot for that era of sci fi… but man… it does not hold up well with the modern world.

I hear you but Foundation is a great story and if I’m not mistaken is the original “galactic empire” tale. That alone makes it something special.

That’s absurd. You are defending the chiseling, rip offs?

Hollywood doesn"t hold up to Heinlein

I reread Foundation over the summer.

Not that great.

The Prequels which were written later are even worse.

I think the issue is Azimov’s writing style. He’s pretty dry.

The premise of the story is terrific. I have high hopes for the upcoming TV version.

What I realized in the Foundation reread is that they are literally practicing Imperialism.

That is why I don’t think it holds up all these years afterwards.

Chuck Jones was a unique talent.

I recommend his autobiography.

1 Like

I am about to reread Foundation. I’ll keep your comment about Imperialism in mind.

Thanks

Watching Love Sex Robots on Netflix… Pretty good. Some episodes really good.

1 Like

Keep that in mind. They tick off all of the boxes. Religious, cultural and economic Imperialism.

Now if the show is approached as a commentary on that it could be interesting. But at the end of the day they are trying to reestablish an actual Empire.