Why Do Republicans Oppose Updating the Voting Rights Act?

How about we put the same restrictions on 2nd amendment rights as voting rights. You know, the state chooses where gun shops are located, hours of operation, the registration process to purchase guns and ammo at these shops.

I know…I say it’s time to start letting those consequences be felt.

1 Like

Actually … true.

Please stay focused.

Thanks.

The Court struck down the VRA in 2013. Immediately, a group of states that had been subject to pre-clearance moved to restrict voting rights… a very predictable outcome. The revised bill is an effort to revive VRA in a fashion that addresses the Supreme Court’s objection. Original VRA identified states for pre-clearance by history with no clear means to exit the rules. The new act considers every state for pre-clearance or exiting pre-clearance based on the number of discrimination cases documented by the Federal Election Commission.

Here is the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops weighing in on the matter and calling for an end to discrimination in voting.

For all of those who are insisting this is some sort of phony liberal issue.

Because the state isn’t manning the gun shops.

However that already happens with permits and the requirements are more onerous by an order of magnitude.

You want to try clever? Let’s make voters get a bgc, fingerprints, take a proficiency test, pay over $100 and wait months to get approval. And repeat the process every few years. Let’s make poll volunteers call the FBI and give them personal information and tell them which party. Let’s make them fill out a federal form and keep it on file for years in case the wrong guy gets elected so we can “trace it back”.

2 Likes

Of course, we had to wait for a Democratic House to see the 2013 Court decision addressed. I come back to my fundamental question. Why do Republicans oppose this bill?

The main answer I am seeing is an insistence that there is no issue of racial discrimination in voting… but the data clearly contradict that.

Did you just put the church in government?

1 Like

I know. I should have said “keep it struck down and let’s start feeling the effects”.

Debate and speech don’t work anymore. Politicians and pundits say what they want without consequence because the Unreality bubbles are so strong.

Make the consequences clear. People don’t do anything about it until they’re pissed off.

I’m coming close to saying I want to hit the self destruct button and let our 200+ year experiment burn and see how people like it.

Seriously…

No they didn’t.

Just following Jerry Falwell’s lead.

Here is documentation on the effect of the 2013 court ruling.

I am seeing several posts in which posters announce there is no discrimination in voting, but no evidence that supports those claims.

I respectfully disagree. A right is a right.

Now you’re bringing foreign influence into our elections?

1 Like

I never got this one to, the whole idea of not being able to get Identification. My drunk uncle who is not allowed within 20 foot of a car because he has managed to rack up 5 DUI’s in 10 years has spent significant time in jail still manages to get a lift someway or the other to the DMV to get a public Id made.

Now we have mail in ballads (All races can use it) which I have used the last few years which made it nice not to have to worry about driving there during work.

1 Like

Not better.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Of course there is discrimination. Your mistake is feeeeeling it is racial. It isn’t. Are dems giving rides to the polls to republicans?

1 Like

This is not surprising. Republicans are constantly trying to limit voting right in states where they hold the majority to do so. Mr. Collins reason For opposing doesn’t say anything. He should provide specific examples.

Modern Republicans do not want to expand voters rights. Period. I invite someone to provide a bill that ANY republican legislature put forth (local, state, fed) that expands voters rights.

I’ll wait.

1 Like

Before VRA, was it racial?