Why Didn't POTUS Convene Congress?

.>

United States Constitution, Article II, Section 3:
“He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.”
Why did Dennison let Congress leave and not immediately convene them back into session instead of letting both the DEMs and the GOPs leave for vacation shutting down (partially) the government.

Wouldn’t not doing their jobs and not funding the government be considered an “extraordinary occasion”?
.>>>>

I’m confused? You already wrote a Thread with pretty much the exact same narrative?

That Thread seems to be doing pretty good, why write another one, that’s almost
the same?

Two completely different threads.

Other Thread Premise: If the government is going to shutdown, then shut it down. No backpay, no cutting checks late, no “essential personnel” required to work for pay later. Nope, shut it down and send them home with no pay and citizens have to deal with the government shutdown and not get their checks (ie veterans, retirees, military, etc…)

This Threads Premise: Under the US Constitution, Article II, Section 3 the President has the power to call congress into convening. Why has POTUS not done that instead of letting Congress take a vacation?

.>>>>

1 Like

Because he’s unfamiliar with the Constitution?

Because Donald Trump has to keep 34 Republican Senators on his side, no matter what.

1 Like

One theory is he wants the shutdown because of the emoluments case…

Why didn’t the President do it during the other government shutdowns?

He hasn’t gotten that far in the Constitution, it’s on his Todo list.

Because most of them did not have the same party control of the house Senate and white house. Trump and republicanmanaged to shut down the government 3x in a year while still holding those 3

I can understand you wanting to forget about Carter. He’s pretty forgettable.

So now there is a qualifier on this?

Just as I thought.

Or I’d you read really, really carefully you would see the word" most" almost at the very beginning of the post.

OK. So, that not being a prerequisite, why did none of the others convene Congress?

Because most of them did not have the same party in control…

So there is a qualifier.

I however do not see that being needed in the OP.

Or we could go that trump has all of the qualities of a Carter presidency without any of the redeeming features like being a good person

3 Likes

Or we could just admit this a bash Trump thread for not doing what other Presidents also didn’t do during a shutdown.

Yeah let’s go to the video, Jim? Roll 254

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1079779202646200324?s=19

:100:

Why didn’t the previous Presidents convene Congress during the shutdown?

We have established your qualifier is not really a requirement to do so.

We are discussing Trump not doing so. What makes him not doing it so much worse than anyone previously not doing it?

The President can only do this when:

1. The Congress is in an intersession adjournment.
  2. The Congress is in final sine die adjournment.
  3. The Congress has entered an intra-session recess greater than 3 days.

None of these conditions exist. Congress is IN session, merely holding pro forma sessions every three days as required.

Trump cannot convene Congress.

4 Likes

Donald Trump isn’t very experienced or savvy with respect to running a large public organization. We shouldn’t expect him to solve problems or influence people to work with him.