Why aren't you Catholic?

It wouldn’t surprise me. But I’m sure he will deny that.

Just thought of another thing incompatible with Judaism. The Christian concept of the Devil. That Satan is an adversary of God, immortal, able to oppose Him. This notion violates the no other gods before me commandment.

Lots of folks are amused in a similar way concerning the catholics. :smiley:

God sacrificed Himself for the our sins, an act of true love:
NKJ John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
(Jn. 1:1 NKJ)

Atonement is a Jewish concept, God as man dying for our sins His idea:

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, (Isa 53:10 NKJ)

The law = animal sacrifice to atone for sin; Christ fulfilled the law, the blood of God atoned for sin ending all animal sacrifice. Animal blood failed to atone because man’s sins continued, God’s blood of infinite value, efficacy atones fully covering even sins man does in the future:
4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
(Heb 10:4-10 NKJ)

Its still not OK to murder people. Including aborting infants.

It is a little more complicated than that, muddied further by poor translations by Christians of HaSatan and Lucifer. However, the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Josephus describe Jewish exorcisms of evil spirits and/or demons. While demons and evil spirits have always raised concerns about Divine providence among Jews, belief in them has been consistent throughout Jewish history (along with the arguments against such).

It seem, however, that while Christians give the names (Satan/Lucifer) and hierarchy to these evil spirits, Jews do not, at least not today. Not sure about past or ancient stories.

As I said, incompatible with Judaism. The term ‘Judeochristian’ is utter nonsense.

Yes. A person atones for their own sins. NO one can atone for the sins of another.

So your saying Christ was an animal.

Thought you believe the law is fulfilled. If Christ fulfilled the law, if he atone for all sins past, present, and future, then why is it not ok to commit murder. Christ already paid the debt. Or is this notion that any law can be permanently fulfilled by one person for all others just a bunch of evangelical jibberish.

It appears to me that in the story of Job, ha satan is an obedient servant of God. Probably one of his angels.

True. But lots of people have been wrong before, too.

Ah, but my amusement stems from people’s lack of knowledge of history, and the conclusions they jump to due to lacking that basic understanding. Without that basic understanding, up goes a silly straw man, and I chuckle. Straw tickles.

Weird rituals, deigns one person to be the chosen one who will set all the rules and doctrines, keeps a rather dishonest tradition that came from the feudal era and requires this tradition to be enforced even if one never married in the catholic church(annulment), and well im an atheist. I kinda like the confessions thing

I actually met people who practice christianity yet say lucifer is the god of the earth and causes every bad thing that happens.

If only you knew what you were talking about. Where to start?

The Pope does not set all rules and doctrine.

Annulment is not required of those who were not married in the Church.

You should educate yourself before you criticize that you don’t know.

'No other gods before me '. Seems simple enough. Why can’t some Christians figure this out?

As Koushi already pointed out, your description of Catholicism is incorrect. However, what interests me more is that you are atheist. Would you describe yourself as life-long atheist (faith never really took) or was it a process?

Darn pope at it again today

Did he tell someone else that God loves him? What a horrible thing to say to someone. [/sarcasm]

1 Like

Umm im going off what my dad told me, the church asked him to get an annulment for his first marriage even though it was not in a catholic church.

Did he tell you why?

Catholics get accused of not following the bible. Then, when they do, they get criticized for that. Matt 19: 9 And I say to you, whoever [e]divorces his wife, except for [f]immorality, and marries another woman [g]commits adultery[h].”

Would you want to commit adultery? Would you want your father to? The Catholic church takes this scripture seriously. Logically, the only way one wouldn’t be committing adultery is if God never joined that person with another. How is that established? The marriage cannot be coerced and both parties must be aware of the seriousness of what they are doing. Annulment is an investigation to see if the requirements for a wedding were met in a way that God joined the couple together. If it is found the requirements were met, an annulment cannot be granted. Because what therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.

There are other churches the catholic church recognizes as performing marriages that meet the criteria of a sacramental marriage. Perhaps your father was a member of such a church.

My amusement is similar.

If you say so… What I note about some of “history” is so many use tertiary or even later sources. Try original sourcing. It often changes everything.

My original sourcing is the Bible. I see nothing there that would cause me to buy into the catholic church teachings.

No offense intended. Both of us are obviously convinced that we are right and agreeing to disagree is about all that is left.