Why are the Feds getting involved in the Arbrey Case?

Ok I can see using the latter parts tense to tie it down temporally. Learn something new everyday.

Still kind of bs though, using that standard means I have to tolerate known felons who have harmed me walking around in my presence and have no ability to detain them. Which is pretty much what they changed the law to. You couldn’t have convicted a cop in this case, they aren’t limited to direct or immediate witness of the felony to pursue.

Well, no. The law doesn’t exist any more at all - Georgia repealed it entirely last year.

I know, enjoy this going forward.

That’s what happens when citizens fear the state too much to protect their communities on their own.

3 Likes

Because that this guy was just some jogger and construction fan is pure bs.

New York has a citizen’s arrest. That was the whole point of the Guardian Angels.

But New York’s law is different than Georgia’s - and significantly better, in my opinion.

In New York, you can make a citizen’s arrest for any crime, as long as it was committed in your presence - and similar to Georgia, there’s a carve-out for felonies.

If the crime is a felony, you can make a citizen’s arrest, even if it wasn’t committed in your presence - but only if the individual arrested actually committed the crime.

In other words, if you arrest someone for a felony that you didn’t witness, and it turns out they didn’t do it - you can be held criminally and civilly liable.

1 Like

Sounds better than Georgia’s new law. Correct if wrong but in Georgia it doesn’t matter anymore if they did it if it didn’t just happen.

Georgia no longer has a citizen’s arrest law. The only “new” law passed to replace it codifies shopkeeper’s privilege.

Great, more women raped on subways with audiences. Libertopia

:rofl:

You have to see how silly this argument is.

Do I? That’s what happens when citizens fear to get involved because they may be prosecuted.

1 Like

This is nonsense.

First of all, your example is from New York - which has a citizen’s arrest law. Second, I’m not aware of a single example in which someone faced criminal repercussions from stopping a crime in progress - which, particularly in the case of a rape - is fully covered under defense of others law.

Lol, Rittenhouse.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Second, I’m not aware of a single example in which someone faced criminal repercussions from stopping a crime in progress

ahem

You understand that Rittenhouse was found not guilty, yes?

And you think that means he didn’t face repercussions? He spent 80 some odd days in jail, had his reputation destroyed and is no doubt under countless death threats.

1 Like

I know that it means he didn’t suffer any criminal repercussions.

You know that was a silly absolute right? Do you seriously think nobody has ever faced criminal repercussions for stopping a crime? Kyle faced legal repercussions and really it’s a miracle he got off given the public sentiment.

You’re missing the point, in search of nits to pick.

Your premise that a lack of citizen’s arrest laws will make crime worse is entirely unsupported.