Why are our schools still closed?

Boom. Mine will be essentially be punished next year for continuing to learn in absence of their teachers. We will get another tax bill next year to fund the school that had no part in this learning.

2 Likes

Of course, but what are parents supposed to do if their kids come home from school with the virus? Socially isolate themselves in the master bedroom?

I read our state stats every day and hogan has done nothing to stop the spread.

It’s not his fault.

But still, he’s done nothing to stop the spread.

So your 8yo kid goes to school…what do you do? Quarantine him when he comes home because he might be infected?

MD has a reason. I didn’t say to ignore the science… follow it. Once peaked and on the downside, one of the first things we should be opening is schools.

Also, parents do have the option of keeping their kids home. This should absolutely be an option. And there is no science suggesting asthma is a condition affected by CVD. The risk to students lives is near nil.

The year’s normal academic cycle ends in late June and by now schools moved everything online - which was expensive and took lots of IT work. We’ve been told 20% cut FY 19/20 & 20/21, so it’s not a great idea to reverse things right after spending to move lessons online.

We’d also have to bring back extra staff like someone from my department who is contracted thru a grant (no paid benefits) so she had apply for unemployment. She just got approved and folks like her will not give that up to return for a few weeks.

There’s many other reasons obviously, but its it’s a heap more complicated than just reopening.

For some I can see this.

Considering many won’t show symptoms I have to wonder what your expectation is about protecting themselves? Does everyone in your household stay to their own room, never to interact with others in the house? Do you disinfect everything you touch that someone else might touch?

I know that isn’t happening in my house.

if you’re under 45… live your life. chances are if you get it, you won’t even know you’ve had it. the death rate for those under 45 is no different than the flu. if you’re over 45, you have a reason to keep your kids out of school.

If they’re honest, they’d say they kept the schools open for WAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO LONG.

End of story.

Okay. I live in Wisconsin. :man_shrugging:

Schools are still closed because its not safe to reopen them right now. In case someone is unaware, we’re currently battling a global pandemic. Its not rocket surgery. Keep kids, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems as safe as possible.

Lol.

This is silly.

What about the parents with heart conditions, or lung conditions?

What about the KIDS with those conditions?

There is emerging evidence that COVID 19 creates blot costs in 30-40 yo. and people are dying of strokes, so a great number of COVID caused deaths are actually being recorded as strokes and heart attacks,.

But also, what about the teachers? What about the cafeteria staff? What about the bus drivers?

Are they all 45 in your mind too?

They are still preparing lesson plans and grading work. But yeah, I agree with you here. Some cuts to local taxes, and therefore workforce are completely necessary going forward.

For some that’s debatable. Honestly there’s not much he can do, but continue to seek recommendations/guidance from the experts.

nice excuses… but just excuses. we open schools every fall, we know how to do it.

as for your extra staff… return or lose benefits, just like anyone else.

I would say open them back up at the normal time in the fall.

You always have had the option of home schooling but for many people that is not an option.

Of course home schoolIng has the advantage of one on one schooling which is just not possible in a school setting but there are also disadvantages.

Parents have to make their own decisions on schooling. Dont like a public school go private or home school but stop bellyaching.

apparently it is rocket surgery. kids are in very little danger.

Like I said, it’s not his fault.

The experts have been wrong on so much of this it’s really, truly scary and disgraceful.

It’s been a massive failure at every level, and the only ones I blame are the chinese.