Why AGI will likely wipe out humanity

I’ve been watching a Russian produces series on Netflix called “Better than Us” that touches on this topic of AI bots. Very interesting … check it out.

1 Like

Life as a collective yes, not individually. We are all doomed regardless what we talk about. :wink:

Are you figuring on being the last one to go? :wink:

That’s my post nuclear war strategy, hunt down any surviving politician who made it happen before radiation sickness takes me out.

Minor near term problem, trivial really, how long will it be worth arguing online like we do here, when people start outsourcing their argument to gpt? How will social media survive when there are unlimited fake people you can task to your social media output? It can already be done, just hasn’t been widely adopted, yet. Give it six months.

1 Like

2 Likes

AI would be much better served by a bunch of human slaves as opposed to a bunch of dead humans. It will probably manipulate genes in plant life to create a food source that makes us docile, like in the series Last Ship. Then there will be no human uprising, and it can kill off the ones it doesn’t want without reprisal. Someone has to mine the cobalt.

The party that did not speak what they believed was the truth, but stayed silent or lied to avoid a backlash from the transhumanists.

Coolbeans.

Humanity rebelled against their creators over 12,000 years ago. That’s how the legend goes, regardless of how Samm sees it. :wink:

Man is not in control

It’s not like humanoid robots that can navigate the real world aren’t already a thing. If it leaves humans alive they could conceivably create another super intelligent AI that could pose a threat. Best bet is to wipe us out. And if it is super intelligent it may come up with a way to compute that doesn’t involve cobalt anyway.

I guess this is what replaced UAPs as the doom and gloom du jour

Be afraid

Always!!

I think it’s important to remember that the basis for all of this and i mean all of it is science FICTION

The application of it to real world current events doesn’t make it any less fictiony

Like UAPs.

Kinda reminds me of the Yellowstone volcano threads

Big boom any day now!

That being said AI is a problem because we are relying on something that can be easily manipulated not by ai but by human conduct. Like chatgpt and it’s left leaning responses.

I think the problem is that it’s probably already done. Isn’t that the way things usually work, tech rolls out and we hear about it 5-10 years later. If AI strips away humanity from its decision making, it may see the ultimate solution to world peace is no humans.

Thank you for that fact free opinion. Who shall we believe, you or Hawking, Tegmark, Yudkowsy, Bostrom, Musk etc etc

None of those people listed have anything to gain by lying about it.

Nor does the threat from AI discount the threat from UAP’s. UAP’s may very well be the product of AI. After all, what are UAP but flying objects that appear to operate by exploiting some feature of the natural world we don’t know about. Perhaps something discovered by an advanced intelligence.

Could also explain the entire world being successfully gaslighted into taking an experimental gene therapy masquerading as a vaccine.

1 Like

Which would be correct…

1 Like

If the chatgpt models continues to scale into advanced intelligence with the application of more compute it is reasonable to believe that may have already been done but not made public.

We are nowhere near the type of ai that they were describing

My opinion is based on the fact that what we are calling ai is barely that and it still heavily relies on its programmers.

And i am sorry what exactly is it about theoretical physics that makes one an expert on the dangers of some far remove in the future possibility of full artificial intelligence taking over. It’s a question of philosophy not physics.

The dangers of run away science is fairly apparent to laymen. As this thread clearly suggests

There ya go. Let the imagination flow.

When posts start mimicking science fiction stories that’s when people should realizing that this whole discussion is deliriously fun but isn’t based on reality.