Who's going to lead us to the end?

I have always found eschatology very interesting, in fact, it was eschatology that drew me to the truth of Christianity. At the time though, I was studying SDA eschatology which has some big differences than Baptist. Scripture has a LOT to say about the end times, meaning the period of time shortly before Jesus’ return. In some places it talks about peace and more or less a “sneaking up” of Christ’s return. The Bible talks about Jesus returning like a thief in the night with no man knowing the time. It says people will be marrying and giving in marriage; which to me means business as usual. In other places it talks of great violence and strife, family member against family member, turmoil in society and Jesus said there will be wars and rumors of wars, and he gave many other signs to look for in society as well. But, he also said these things are the BEGINNING of the end.

The Bible also tells things about the state of things leading up to the rise to power of the Anti-Christ. It also speaks of Gog and Magog which many believe are China and Russia and them coming against Israel at Armageddon…

There is much that leads me to believe that we are in end times, but I wonder what type of leadership we will have in America. Pro Christian/Pro Israel or anti- Christian/anti-Israel.

Thoughts?

What do you see as America’s role in the eschatology you describe?

I think the United States from a biblical perspective, is irrelevant. To be honest some people here in America think some American person, politician(especially presidents) or celebrity could be the anti-Christ, but it’s total rubbish. We’re not the center of the biblical world.

People always think it’s the end time. See the black plague etc… Or the global warming faithful! They expect another deluge from eco sins!..

Honestly, I don’t see a specific role for the US either. That’s one of the things that makes me wonder. Is it because something drastic has happened to us or has our leadership just diminished us to insignificance?

Interesting thought. I remember my mother’s SBC back in the day having very specific ideas on America’s role in Scripture, that we were to support Israel in her defense against Russia and any divergence from that goal was akin to damnation. It’s been a long time since I last heard much about it either way.

I tend to agree with those who say we never had much of a role to play in that cosmology, if any. So far as to whether we are in the end times? I’m not seeing it. The present day has its share of calamities but it feels like no more or less than other decades. I’m inclined to think there’s no way of truly knowing and to obsess over speculations is folly. Reminds me of Harold Camping.

If not ourselves, then a super volcano or asteroid or exploding sun.

No matter what, Earth is doomed.

I don’t see any of those as likely. Besides if AOC is right, we only have about 12 years until global warming destroys us. Rather a bland way to go if you ask me- global warming ourselves to death…

I’m a supporter of Israel. I definitely believe Israels statehood in 1948 was a fulfillment of prophecy and in God’s saying that he will bless those that bless Israel and curse those that curse Israel, but the March on Israel is after the rapture. In leading up to the rapture there is nothing that rules out Americas decline in one way or another.

There are many prophecies about the state of society that really have come to fruition only in the last few decades. It seems there is an acceleration of fulfillment…

So true!

If Christians are right ( and I would appreciate this thread not devolving into that line. I’m asking believers here) then at some point, the end will come.

And every generation says that.

I’ll discuss from a Christian perspective, what leads you to believe the end times are nigh?

I’m thinking superbugs. We’ve abused antibiotics so much over the last few decades, all it’s going to take is one resistant strain of plague or influenza to reduce civilization to barbarism.

1 Like

Yet, we might survive as a species. It would be interesting to see what would evolve if we had to start over.

Or eventually die a slow heat death. It won’t go on forever.

Plagues and pestilences are both given ad signs. There is definitely a possibility of man made plagues, either accidentally made by antibiotic resistant superbugs or deliberate biological warfare. That’s a big part of my thinking about end times. Man has created things fairly recently that allow for the fulfillment of prophecy.

And I’m not trying to dissuade you from that opinion. But I’ve been hearing similar talk since I was old enough to hear it. Nuclear technology, genetic engineering, advances in warfare, terrorism, the decline of morality…all of it supposedly heralding the beginning of the end.

I’m content to live my life, be the best person I can be, and love those closest to me with whatever time I have left. I’ll let God worry about the details re: the ending of the world, since it’s not for me to know anyway. :slight_smile:

You’re right. No one knows for sure. Whether the end is tomorrow or ten thousand years away, we have brought it on ourselves by our rejection of God. I see it as much closer than most probably think though.

God had to intervene twice in our past because of our wickedness. First with a flood, then by sending a savior to not only redeem us but to gives us the means, through the work of the Spirit to slow the tide of evil and change the direction of much of the world. The next intervention will be the last. I can’t imagine what new evil man could come up with and embrace and I hope I don’t have to find out…