Who thought it was a good idea to have Mulvaney on the sunday morning talk shows?

Considering Hillary was under an active FBI investigation during the election, and it was announced to the public unlike Trump, and Trump used it to campaign against her, even political allies aren’t exempt from investigations. What should be different is pressuring and leveraging foreign countries into investigating your political opponents solely for your own personal gain.

1 Like

A super wealthy son.

That’s not self dealing

Are you calling for investigations into Ivanka’s Chinese issued patents? How about Jared’s UAE funding for his doomed property?

I like the talking point a shameless Republican gave that those things are different because the Trumps were wealthy before they took office.

5 Likes

What were your thoughts about Trump’s attempted self dealing in (temporarily) giving himself the G7?

A super wealthy daughter.

“Including voting machines” :flushed:

You can’t fix stupid.

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/1186047459291738112?s=21

1 Like

I think it’s not a lack of self-awareness but shamelessness. Sometimes people don’t say things because they know how awful it would look, and then sometimes you invite Bill Clinton’s accusers to a debate to take attention away from your over a dozen accusers, even when you sided with Bill during that time.

In other words: it looks awful to people they don’t care about.

Full storm “whataboutism”. Something these people all lambasted just a few months ago.

Fine. I’m not in a position to call for investigations. Write Pelosi.

Nah, I’m just wondering why trump supporters don’t call out Javanka for the same self-dealing.

…which you started

1 Like

Are you not in a condition to do that yourself?

I do. I’m just wondering why trump supporters don’t. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

How many time does it take to call something a “fake” or a “conspiracy” before it actually becomes one?

It never becomes one. That’s why when Mueller said that there was no evidence of cooperation between the Trump campaign and Russia, Dems should have dropped the fake conspiracy theory. Actually, they should never have raised it because there was just no basis to it.

Its definitely both.

1 Like

Given that Trump’s fate will be decided in the Senate what does “the voters will decide” mean?

" Reporter (M): (19:07)
Can you clarify, and I’ve been trying to get an answer to this. Was the president serious when he said that he would also like to see China investigate the Bidens? And you were directly involved in the decision to withhold funding from Ukraine. Can you explain to us now definitively why? Why was funding withheld?

Mick Mulvaney: (19:31)
Sure. Let’s deal with the second one first, which is, look, it should come as no surprise to anybody. The last time I was up here … I haven’t done this since I was chief of staff. Right? Last time I was up here, some of you folks remember it was for the budget briefings. Right? And one of the questions you all always ask me about the budget is what are you all doing to the foreign aid budget? Because we absolutely gutted it. President Trump is not a big fan of foreign aid. Never has been. Still isn’t. Doesn’t like spending money overseas, especially when it’s poorly spent. And that is exactly what drove this decision. I’ve been in the office a couple times with him talking about this and he said, “Look Mick, this is a corrupt place.” Everybody knows it’s a corrupt place.

Mick Mulvaney: (20:12)
By the way, put this in context. This is on the heels of what happened in Puerto Rico when we took a lot of heat for not wanting to give a bunch of aid to Puerto Rico because we thought that place was corrupt. And by the way it turns out we were right. All right. So put that as your context. He’s like, “Look, this is a corrupt place. I don’t want to send them a bunch of money and have them waste it, have them spend it, have them use it to line their own pockets.” Plus I’m not sure that the other European countries are helping them out either. So we actually looked at that during that time before. When we cut the money off, before the money actually flowed, because the money flowed by the end of the fiscal year, we actually did an analysis of what other countries were doing in terms of supporting Ukraine. And what we found out was that, and I can’t remember if it’s zero or near zero dollars from any European countries for lethal aid. You’ve heard the president say this, that we give them tanks and the other countries give them pillows. That’s absolutely right that as vocal as the Europeans are about supporting Ukraine, they are really, really stingy when it comes to lethal aid. And they weren’t helping Ukraine and still to this day are not.

Mick Mulvaney: (21:09)
And the president did not like that. I know [inaudible 00:21:11] long answer your question, but I’m still going. So those were the driving factors.

[*that is, the factors mentioned so far were the driving factors in delaying the aid. *]

Did he also mention to me in the past, the corruption related to the DNC server? Absolutely. No question about that.

But that’s it. And that’s why we held up the money.

[*So, he lists factors over which funding was delayed: concern about the corrupt use of aid money by recipient nations to line officials’ pockets. He admits that the Ukrainian involvement in the hiding of the DNC server is also an element of potential Ukranian corruption. But says that particular aspect of corruption was not one of the driving factors. *]

Mick Mulvaney: (21:25)
Now there was a report-

Reporter (M): (21:27)
So the demand for an investigation into the Democrats was part of the reason that he ordered to withhold funding to Ukraine?

Mick Mulvaney: (21:34)
The look back to what happened in 2016 certainly was part of the thing that he was worried about in corruption with that nation. And that is absolutely appropriate.

Reporter (M): (21:42)
Withholding the funding?"…

Mick Mulvaney: (25:46)
There were three factors. Again, I was involved with the process by which the money was held up temporarily. Okay. Three issues for that. 1. The corruption in the country,
2. whether or not other countries were participating in the support of the Ukraine, and
3. whether or not they were cooperating in an ongoing investigation with our Department Of Justice.
That’s completely legitimate. Yes, sir. [crosstalk 00:26:06]

So Mulvaney admits that Trump was also “concerned” about potential Ukranian corruption re the DNC server, but says that although immediate release of the aid was dependent on a general willingness to assist with the ongoing investigations looking back at what happened in the 2016 election, Ukraine’s actions re the server were not a factor in the decision to delay or immediately release the aid.

Sure it was.

It was stated in MULVANEY’S SUMMATION.

There were three factors. Again, I was involved with the process by which the money was held up temporarily. Okay. Three issues for that. 1. The corruption in the country,
2. whether or not other countries were participating in the support of the Ukraine, and
3. whether or not they were cooperating in an ongoing investigation with our Department Of Justice.

1 Like