Who should pay for quarantine and testing?

Since you were just in China?!?!?! Of course it does.

Come on…

Actually I think that’s what he intended:

So, assuming he remembers what happened correctly, the main point of the story should be the Jackson Memorial Hospital screwed up, nothing more.

Nope not the point

Not at all. A person with flu like symptoms who recently traveled to China should be put in quarantine until test shows they don’t have covid-19. Heck, from my I’ve been reading part of the reason the disease has been spreading in the US is because we haven’t been cautious enough when it comes to who we do and don’t isolate.

The point to the story, because if he had just been given the flu test as should have happened there would have been not $3,000+ bill
Now if you want to talk about who should be required to pay for government mandated expenses, like if he had been ordered to take that test or put in quarantine by the government…well thats an issue but its not the case this OP is demonstrating.
If he had flu type symptoms and tested positive for flu and was still required to take the test…well that’s just not this case at all.

You don’t think they should take extra precautions for someone who was in China?

If they have flu type symptoms and test positive for flu? No.

And if he did have the coronavirus all that time spent doing the paperwork, getting the test, waiting for results, he could be spreading the disease.

especially since the CDC has actually released a person who did have the virus early in texas. he was following every guidance he was told to by legitimate health agencies and he still has to spend over a grand out of pocket…what does that say to everyone who cant afford to spend 1000…

That could all have been done from the same quarantine room whereas he would have to be transported through the hospital’s corridors to the CT and back.

So you do think he should have been in quarantine?

Honestly with the current situation even if he tested positive for the flu he should have also been tested for Covi19. It would be entirely possible to be infected with both at the same time particularly since influenza weakens the immune system.

In a public health emergency like this however he shouldn’t be paying a dime out of pocket. Since the gov’t is ordering the tests and quarantine whatever charges above and beyond his insurance should be paid by the gov’t just like if you are jailed or imprisoned and have to get medical care.

That’s actually a great question.

Until testing clear yes.

I’m assuming if they went through all that trouble to quarantine him that they also took precautions when transporting him to and from the CT scanner.

A flu test would tell him whether he has a flu, not whether he had been infected with the coronavirus.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Who should not pay?

Unless it’s a level 4 facility there would still be a risk and they couldn’t do a CT on him while he’s in a continent bed or space suit.

https://community.hannity.com/t/much-more-dangerous-that-cronovirus/227299/219?u=wildrose

Your claim was that he would be putting others at risk while getting tested and filling out paperwork which simply isn’t true since that could be done from the same room they already had him quarantined in.

There would be more risk associated with moving him to and from the CT and doing the scan.

Nope. My claim was that he would be putting others at risk if they didn’t quarantine him first which was in response to @DougBH saying the hospital was in the wrong for doing all this expensive stuff prior to testing him for flu first.