Who among us will join Joe Biden's Internet Thought Police?

The Biden administration now wants to hire “outside agents” to conduct surveillance on all internet chatter that it can’t legally access. This is actually what true “authoritarianism” looks like, not that any Democratic Party voter will care so long as dissent is crushed.

The Department of Homeland Security is limited in how it can monitor citizens online without justification and is banned from activities like assuming false identities to gain access to private messaging apps used by extremist groups such as the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers.

Instead, federal authorities can only browse through unprotected information on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook and other open online platforms. A source familiar with the effort said it is not about decrypting data but rather using outside entities who can legally access these private groups to gather large amounts of information that could help DHS identify key narratives as they emerge

1 Like

I’d chatter on a land line. No one listens in on those anymore.

Way to dodge the uncomfortable topic.

1 Like

It’s not a dodge if he agrees with what he voted into power.

I’ve been keeping notes here for years in the hope that I will be reimbursed one day.

2 Likes

Admitting the bitter truth of something is hard when deep down you know you wouldn’t put up with that ■■■■ from the other political side.

1 Like

The government is trying to slide into private discord groups instead of hacking them. Not really a sinister or uncomfortable idea.

Oh, is that how you justify it?

Be careful what you wish for.

1 Like

I don’t see anything to justify. Government agencies are allowed to go undercover and/or ask someone inside any group for information.

What is being wished for here?

Pay any good?

1 Like

From reading the article, the problem seems how to spy on right wing extremists without interfering in any way with the privacy rights of left wing extremists.

3 Likes

What’s it pay?

Without interfering with the privacy rights of anyone. If these groups get catfished by a DHS agent, they fell for it fair and square.

1 Like

He should just get the NSA to keep doing it from Europe.

I’d have no problem with that, but that isn’t what’s being proposed - Democrats want to contract out to non-law enforcement agencies to spy on channels they can’t lawfully access. No mention of the likes of Youth Liberation Front or BLM, whose leadership has already called for more violence in the wake of the Chauvin verdict. But hey, it’s your side in power, so I guess none of that matters.

2 Likes

Wait, didn’t we go through this last week with the postal service? Mailman can monitor online chatter, and DHS can’t?

What in the heck I’d going on!?

I’d do it as a side hustle.

How will these agencies spy on channels?

No. I don’t. I used to agree with this kind of stuff when Bush did it back in 2001 and 2002… I thought the patriot act was awesome. Learned that lesson. Now I don’t think the government should be violating peoples privacy.