White privilege: Can we agree on this much?

I…one zillion percent…agree and it is the root cause of almost every social problem “we” are encountering right now…and that includes BLM.

Are you familiar with the concept of “white guilt”?

Yet it has.

I’m playing the game on “easy mode” too. But it’s because no one brainwashed me into thinking I’m a victim. So I learned to work and take responsibility for my own failures. That’s makes life “easier” than living as a victim.

You see, I am olive skinned, raised by working poor, state school educated as I worked my way through while in the military, not above average height, etc. I don’t have the sense of guilt that you do. Also, my ancestors never owned slaves and some of them were slaves - yes…in chattel slavery systems …themselves in other countries by other conquerors and held for longer and more recently than the blacks in America. So I don’t have the sense of guilt that has been indoctrinated into you.

3 Likes

Why on earth would I feel guilty?

Indoctrination.

Doesn’t sound much fun.

Is it just the white bit I need to feel guilty about or anything else?

Depends… often those with the greatest sense of white guilt can trace their family back to 18th century America and thus were complicit in slave trading… if for no other reason than their silence.
Those for whom this genealogy holds true may feel that additional guilt… an existential angst driven by a sense of responsibility for the ‘sins of their fathers’, so to speak. And while there may be a correlation with skin color, the slave holding blood running through their veins adds a bit more of the sense of guilt than felt by the white European immigrants in the post slavery era.

Privilege

1 Like

Intersectionality

Well I’m mongrel British so one half of family was probably ■■■■■■■■ all over the other half at any one point in the last 400 years.

None of which is my fault.

But it does make it easier to get a job.

Would it help?

Of course.

In your private education at Oxsnob College, did you by chance study any of the works of Carl Jung? Does the word “shadow” ring a bell? What about the word “projection”?

Would that not be indoctrination if they did?

I’m really not giving a ■■■■■■■ offense.

But white elitist snobs should stop speaking for Blacks in this country.

And Blacks…you’re free to create your own society, privilege etc.

Go out and get it.

1 Like

Not just us but everywhere. There was a article about a Central American migrant trying to get to the US, and there was a mention about his 7 children. And I’m thinking in my head, what idiot living in abject poverty has 7 ■■■■■■■ children?

I must be working my white privilege wrong. I have to work over 40 hours week. I have no discounts anywhere I go, for my white privilege. I dont even get a reserved place in line to check out my groceries.

I’m the descendant of slave owners and slaves.

I hold no guilt at all. This country doesn’t owe me anything, nor any other person born in this country since the 1960s.

The crimes are in the past. Nothing can be done to fix it now without punishing those who had nothing to do with it.

It’s time to move on. We should never forget. But we should move on.

The call for reparations solves nothing. It won’t fix the black community’s biggest issues, which today are self inflicted.

3 Likes

Privilege in this context is about the benefit of the doubt. It is a weighting in favor of when interacting with the system (or people).

It is not about being owed.

It is subconscious usually and it exists.