White House threatening to buy-pass Congress to sell weapon to war criminals

WH is threaten to use emergency powers to by pass Congressional approval needed to sell weapon to accused war criminal Saudi Arabia.

The Trump administration is considering an emergency declaration that would allow it to make an arms shipment to Saudi Arabia without the approval of Congress, two U.S. officials and lawmakers opposed to the move said Thursday.

The officials say a decision on invoking a national security waiver in the Arms Export Control Act to bypass congressional review of proposed sales to the Saudis could be made as early as Friday. The officials were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

“The officials were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.”

These people should be found and prosecuted…period.

1 Like

Or maybe the administration shouldn’t be selling weapons behind Congress’ back. No idea what emergency would require SA to desperately need weapons.

It’s called accountability - a word without meaning to Trumpsters apparently.

1 Like

The two are mutually exclusive.

Know this…I am NO fan of Saudi Arabia and the only thing I’d ship them is the feces from San Fran.

If the president of the United states wants to sell weapons of war to his friends, why is that anyone’s business besides his own? Congress wants to pretend they’re a coequal branch of government, but unless they’re willing to impeach then they have no real power to stop the executive from doing whatever he wants.

2 Likes

Yet the President is sleeping with the House of Saud and you say its okay.

Allan

3 Likes

If you can’t post a post of me saying it is ok that “the President is sleeping with the House of Saud and you say its okay”…will you admit that you just lied?

1 Like

Well said. Republicans in Congress can furrow their brows all they want, we all know they serve King Trump.

We heard forever that republicans wanted a person to run the United States like a business. Well in private business the owner makes all the decisions and tells everybody else to go to hell.

That’s exactly what Donald Trump will do during his entire tenure.

Are you Republican men still for checks and balances? Will you be during the next democratic presidency?

5 Likes

So you dont support the president i this endeavor? (Declaring a national emergency to circumvent congress oversight)

If so had you pegged incorrectly then. My apologies.

Allan

As I recently said, IMO those four ships that were sabotaged last week…two of them Saudi ships…were more than likely sabotaged by the Saudis to draw us into their war with Iran…and apology accepted.

You don’t know about whistleblower protection?

Remember the Maine (which we sabotaged ourselves to whip up public support in our war with Spain)

Allan

So do or don’t you support us selling weapons to them to continue a proxy war in Yemen that is causing a catastrophic humanitarian crisis?

Checks and balances will become the new “deficit/debt” mantra for the right.

They’ll howl about how Congress is a coequal branch of government the moment a Dem is sworn in. Yet throw it to the side if a Republican is POTUS.

Same as they do with spending. Amazing how deficits and debt are NBD during a GOP Presidency yet are catastrophic as soon as a Dem becomes POTUS.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-to-sidestep-congress-to-clear-arms-deals-benefitting-saudi-arabia-uae/2019/05/24/367f4990-7e4d-11e9-a5b3-34f3edf1351e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c1e3d2a23630

Looks like it’s going to happen.

In a statement, Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman Sen. James E. Risch (R-Idaho) said that he was “reviewing and analyzing the legal justification for this action and the associated implications.”

This is what it looks like when a man has no spine.

I do not support Saudi Arabia…period. It’s an evil regime.

I heard on the interwebs that the last times the president sold arms without congressional approval was just before the Iraq war. Although, I’m not sure about how accurate that information is.

Good ■■■■■■■ thing for Trump we are not signatories to the International Criminal Court, that’s all I’ve got to say…………

How do you “account” for the Iran deal and Fast & Furious, neither had Congressional approval and involved weaponizing or providing funds to weaponize foreign countries, one an ally and the other not! :astonished: .

In typical liberal authoritarian fashion “accountability” is a one way street! :roll_eyes: