White House Counsel Don Mcgahn Cooperating with Mueller

Trump could have used either attorney/client privilege or executive privilege to virtually block any statement McGahn could have made.

Not for thisā€¦

It really has nothing to do with hatred of Trump. Itā€™s about exploring your obedience to him.

I read your posts. I think your concept of a perjury trap is not the usual one used in literature. I think you think Trump is just going to lie about something, perhaps out of impulse to defend himself, perhaps just thatā€™s how he is, always shooting from the hip. But thatā€™s not going to make it a perjury trap in the traditional sense. In your sense, any time Trump is under oath itā€™s a perjury trap because heā€™s just that much of a liar and doesnā€™t have that great of impulse control.

I donā€™t actually think thatā€™s right, though. I think Trump is smart enough to understand what is a lie and isnā€™t. I think heā€™s also smart enough not to tell lies on the stand. Heā€™s been under oath for other things and as far as I can tell, heā€™s been truthful. I think the reason Trump wonā€™t go under oath is not because heā€™s afraid to accidentally tell a lie. I think heā€™s more worried heā€™ll have to tell truths that he doesnā€™t want to admit.

1 Like

Even if it was under executive privilege, does that prevent people from voluntarily talking? I donā€™t think so but I could be wrong.

This article explains former Trump lawyer John Dowdā€™s strategy in allowing McGahn and others to be interviewed by Mueller.

ā€œThereā€™s no way that Don McGahn was not going to testify. And we didnā€™t want him subpoenaed before a grand jury. We didnā€™t want to litigate it because itā€™s a loser. He doesnā€™t have an attorney client privilege with the president. And executive privilege would probably not survive a grand jury test."

ā€œOn executive privilege, Ty did a great thing. He let Bob [Mueller] see everything because heā€™s part of the executive but if he ever wants to use it he has to come back to the White House and get permission to use it."

I believe notā€¦

Just when I thought you couldnā€™t be any more arrogant.

Why is it when someone answers you directly, you veer away like that? Why donā€™t you quit playing games and get serious instead of calling everyone else Trump haters. Is that too hard?

More salacious, unverified conspiracy mongering - typical.

It is too hardā€¦

McGahn is NOT Trumpā€™s attorney.

He has an EXTREMELY LIMITED area where he can claim privilege with the White House Counsel.

John Dowd already stated executive privilege claims here likely would not have stood a legal challenge.

Itā€™s why they didnā€™t bother doing it.

But that doesnā€™t make them cooperativeā€¦theyā€™re just doing whatā€™s politically expedient.

iā€™m fairly certain the wh counsel represents the president. are you suggesting sending what is essentially his lawyer to answer questions for him is being uncooperative? perhaps youā€™ve read the 4th amendment?

No- the White House Counsel DOES NOT REPRESENT THE PRESIDENT.

Are so many of you REALLY this ignorant of what the White House Counsel does?

This is why these ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  lies workā€¦because so many people are ignorant of basic facts.

4 Likes

Youā€™re wrong.

The White House Counsel offers legal advice to the President, the Counsel in the Presidentā€™s official capacity but does not serve as the Presidentā€™s personal attorney.

Just giving my own opinion of your posting behavior. Itā€™s no different than what you do every day.

Or am I not allowed to have opinions anymore?

1 Like

Wrong.

10char

Incorrect. The White House Counsel represent the office of the President. Not the man himself.

a distinction without a difference. the ONLY difference between the two is the president cannot rely on attorney client privilege, he must rely on executive privilege, which he was so concerned about he waived it.

a distinction without a diference